Recently stopped 5mg of Olanzapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi I've been on Olanzapine 5mg for approx 3 years and a week last thursday I went to a psychiatrist for a medication review as I'm under a new mental health team. They concluded I should come off the olanzapine because it's never actually helped with my severe anxiety which is my main diagnosis and I dont suffer from bi polar or psychotic symptoms of any kind so they couldn't see a reason I should have ever been put on these meds and it didn't even say why I was in my medical records! They said I could stop the 5mg dead as it's a low dose so that's what I did. Only now have I read the horror stories of coming off this drug! And I thought Diazepam was bad. For the first week I felt more anxious and emotional then all of a sudden physical symptoms hit me I keep getting hot sweats then get freezing cold. I feel sick and have lost my appetite. I cannot sleep. I have a constant headache which paracetamol does seem to help. And I have an increased urge to urinate which is so bad I feel I need to go all the time. The strange thing is when I started these meds I started sweating excessively to the point I literally soak my clothing constantly which is triggered the more I panic which is alot. I also started having the increased urge to urinate but it wasn't as bad as it is now. I've never been sure if the sweating and urination has been caused by the olanzapine as it was a very chaotic time in my life I was put on the olanzapine and I cant remember exactly when the sweating and urination started but as far as I can remember it was about the same time. So I'm wondering has anyone else had sweating or increased urination as side effects of olanzapine? If so did they temporarily get worse during withdrawal? And finally advice on how long the withdrawal may last and if my symptoms are normal for withdrawal? I'm now aware it should have been reduced much slower but I've gotten so far I'd hate to have to go back on the olanzapine to taper it off. Thanks for reading and any advice/opinions given

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Faith,

I know exactly how you feel. if you want to ditch this stuff you have to taper slowly . I was on there for 7 months and tried to quit cold turkey taking 7.5 mgs. not a chance. the insomnia was beyond severe due to the reliance of the drug.

The first thing to do would be to buy a digital metric scale and taper 10-20% of your starting weight per week. people advocate far less but I had very few issues going at this rate, plus there is a long half life that works to your advantage. I was able to wean off after 9-10 weeks completely and I'm over a month off now.

Theanine can also help restore gaba levels naturally and that seemed to help. let me know if you have any questions.

• Posted

i am also on olanzapine and am tapering off at 5% every 2 weeks. i am also tapering cymbalta, mirtazapine and ativan at the same time. i was also put on olanzapine for anxiety and it has not helped at all. Has anybody else multi tapered

• Posted

Hi

sorry to hear you are going through this I can relate.

1 was taking 15mg of Olanzapine and had a similar chat with my mental health team. I tapered off over a period of 4 weeks as well as coming off Valium in October last year. This turned out to be far to quick (I was taking the Olanzapine fir 4yrs) and I got all the same withdrawel symptoms as you.

I had a terrible couple of months with withdrwel symptoms but kept telling myself things would get better but they did not.

I eventually ended up going back on the Olanzapine at 5mg a couple of weeks ago and things have settled im going to wait a few months then taper again but this time over 4-6 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.