Recently stopped birth control

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 25 years old. I've been on birth control since I was I believe 21 or 22. Last month I decided to stop taking my pills. I stopped taking them in the middle of the pack. After I stopped taking them, my period started 2 days later. Everything was like how it used to be before the pills, bad cramps, bloating, and it lasted 6 days as opposed to the 3 days it would last on the pill. Anyways, it is now around the time my period would normally start when I was taking them. My period hasn't started but I've been getting very sharp pains in my abdomen. It's like cramps x10. But like I said, no period. I always get up and go to the bathroom to see if started because it's unusually moist down there, but nothing. What does that mean? Is that a sign of pregnancy? Or is that just how my body is reacting to coming off the pill.

Help!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi lovlee.... when I came of the pill years ago to start a family, it took a while for my periods to get regular again, what I can remember is that it's like missing a pill, you can become pregnant. .. If you've been "busy" since stopping your pill I'd do a test.... if you are then I'm not sure if congrats are in order or not? ? If defo do a test xxx
  • Posted

Your body's response is actually pretty normal for stopping hormones, especially in the middle of the pack. It probably would have been an easier transition if you had completed your pack, started your period and then just didn't start a new pack. However, regular periods are the gift of birth control. Before I started birth control my periods were very irregular and there are many factors that count for that.

I'm not going to tell you aren't pregnant, my comments are a general statement made without knowledge of if you have been sexually active since you stopped the pill or what your periods were like in terms of regularity before you started the pill.

If you have been sexually active, take a pregnancy test to be sure. However, your body is capable of getting pregnant even on birth control so of course, now that you are off, it could be a possibility.

• Posted

You could just start your period any day now...maybe give it another week. 
  • Posted

I took a pregnancy test today and it was negative.
  • Posted

Yes. Still getting the bad cramps. And it's not like a normal cramp. It's like a sharp pain. It lasts for like a minute then it goes away. It's been happening the past 2 days
    • Posted

Hiya, I would pop back to your docs just to get checked out, just to be on the safe side, I'm sure all is ok xxx
    • Posted

Yes this can be attributed to suddently stopping birth control, it will work itelf out eventually
    • Posted

I had sharp pains after being on a hormonal birth control and it ended being a cyst developed on my ovary that burst and the doc that it was completely normal nothing to freak abotu and the pain would subside...she even went as far to say she was surprised i had had one in my life yet...i'm 29.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.