Recipe for cough sweets

Posted , 6 users are following.

I found this receipe to make your own cough sweets.

When your nose is blocked and the cough sets in, most people are usually at their wit's end. You swallow medicine, gurgle specific solutions, rub ointments into your skin, and simply try everything that advertisements claim as successful. But with this little guide, you won't need to do any of that. These cough drops contain all the important ingredients to kill off any cold or flu.

We need:

8 Oz Sugar 

4 Oz water

1 Tbsp freshly squeezed Lemon juice

1 Tbsp Honey 

1/2 Tbsp ground Ginger

1/4 Tbsp ground Cloves

First, mix all of the ingredients in a pot and let it boil. The honey is an anti-inflammatory, ginger strengthens the immune system, and cloves are an anti-oxidant. Together they provide an all-rounded defense, which these illnesses fear. Once the mixture has come to the boil, allow it to simmer for around 20 minutes, stirring regularly.

Then sit the pot to the side to cool a little. The sugar should have caramelized, which gives the substance a thick, sticky consistence.

Use a spoon to distribute small drops onto a sheet of baking paper. Now wait until the drops have set hard. 

Then, sprinkle some icing sugar over the top. This ensures that the cough drops don't stick together. 

Done! Now you have beautiful cough drops at hand for that health emergency. These bonbons can also be dropped into hot water, where they soon turn into a delicious tea. Get well soon!

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How wonderful Denise, thank you for that.  They sound delicious. cheesygrin
  • Posted

Now that's a good recipe. Instead of giving Halls, I would give those sweeties to kids in case of cold.
  • Posted

I hope this has worked for you! That would be great. I would only make sure I used pure turbinado (raw) sugar instead of the refined. Thanks for sharing Denise!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.