Recipes /Tips for Ageusia/Hypogeusia (Loss of Taste) and Loss of Appetite

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hell folx!

I am writing on my behalf of my grandmother, who is 84. I'm a medical student and have some basic knowledge of Sjogren's, but y'all are the real experts so would love advice! I

A food lover all her life, my grandmother had has a severe decline in not only her appetite, but also her ability to taste basically all foods about 6 months ago. Does anyone have tips or success with certain recipes/solutions that can support her to taste food again?

She reports the only flavor she can mildly taste in food is sweeteners (honey, brown sugar, etc), but too much sweetener will cause her throat to feel odd. She cannot taste sour, bitter, savory umami. She has tried to add extra salt, spices to her food, but will not results. She lost her bottom teeth due to dryness caused by Sjogren's (amongst her eyes also being severely affected and other symptoms), and has to have most of her food blended or soaked in tea, because she has trouble swallowing. She denies Dysgeusia/ Parageusia; things don't taste odd, they just don't have any taste or eatings just feels revolting. One thing that is promising is that she reports her entire olfaction system works-she can smell lemons, if food has expired, etc. I'm curious is perhaps the loss of saliva leads to necrosis of taste buds, and thus loss of taste sensation...

It would make me so happy to make her some food, share recipes, or provide tips to try that could support her be able to enjoy eating again!

Many thanks,

Sarah

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.