Recliners

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone.

i haven't been on the site for a while, but have now started to feel pain in my non operated hip. i was warned that the hip would need replacing within one to two years and it looks as if they were right. My previous op went really well and i was lucky enough to have a smooth recovery. What I do remember though was the pain I felt on sitting for periods of time on a hard upright chair. i was wondering if any of you have advice re recliners. it would be wonderful if I felt I could sit in more comfort while still following the 90 degree rule. Any advice on type to get would be very welcome.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

when i broke my hip in January i found sitting very painful especially lower chairs as i couldnt get back out of them. My husband bought me a Raiser/ Recliner chair and its been brilliant. I chose a slightly higher chair as found it more comfortable which has 3 settings on i think. Raise, Recline and foot rest and it has helped me so much. I still use the raiser as i cant quite manage to stand up easily from seated position and this is 4 months post op but im disabled already. I hope you find a good chair and best to read the reviews as there are lots that look good but dont last long.

• Edited

thank you. i've started looking online, but they seem to be very shy about revealing prices whick presumably means that they are very exspensive!

• Edited

exactly what they said to me. and I did not believe them but within 3mth preop having pain from my other hip.

I dont have recliner and do struggle getting out of chair with other hip, but new hip rearing to go.

I was scheduled operation may, but that's been cancelled because of this virus. just a wait and see game for me now.

• Edited

My right hip was replaced on Dec 9, 2019. so actually its been almost 5 months. I too have one of those lift very comfortable recliners. ( this one called a sleep chair) As a matter of fact I'm still sleeping on it until i feel I can sleep in my regular bed and not feel soreness in my replaced hip if I roll over on it . I think if you can a recliner is the way to go even if just temporary.

• Edited

Thanks, Denise. i'm looking into it, although it's hard to know which is the best choice - will have to wait until shops open again and I can try them out.

• Edited

As it could be some while before any of us can have our hip op, it is definitely worth ensuring you can sit comfortably as your hip will be going downhill. I do have a recliner, which was extortionately expensive. I do find I have an easy chair which is more comfortable, but I think I may be unique as most people think recliners are a really good idea.

• Edited

Thank you. last time I purchased a chair from Lloyds online mobility shop. It was just an upright chair with high back, but if they had tried to design something totally uncomfortable they would have won with this one!

• Edited

I had both replaced within 4 months of each other which was planned. This was only a year and a half ago during Christmas 2019. I spent most of my time on the couch and put blocks under it I got from Walmart.

This made it easy to get off and on with no trouble. If you get a recliner, maybe find a way to raise it up just a few inches. I just got the Harley out last weekend for the first time since it all

• Posted

Well done - enjoy your freedom. After 18 months pain free enjoying life again, I'm gutted that it's back to pain again.

• Edited

Hi Yvonne,

Our settee was okay to sit on as it was fairly new but, I brought a pillow down and sat on that to lift me up a bit and be comfy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.