Recommendations for bunion surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I need to have surgery to straighten my bunion. I will need first second and third metatarsocuneiform joint fusions to correct the alignment of my bunion and midfoot osteoarthritis. I've been told that podiatry can't do it as I will need general anaesthetic so they've referred me to Orthopedics now. My question is: I need to choose 2 hospitals, is there much difference between NHS in an NHS hospital and NHS in a private hospital? I am also petrified about the pain, how would you compare the pain to childbirth??  Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the same thing done 10 days ago.

The pain is more of a throbbing pain from swelling.

Tips, stay on top of your pain medication

Write it down and ask doctor for recommendations ( I took over the counter ibuprofen along with my Rx )

Pain without medicine is a 7

With elevating, ice, rest and meds it is managable.

Wear the boot or shoe when you move around.

I had a podiatrist do my surgery and I had twilight anesthesia. Out patient at the hospital. I do not know what NHS is? Good luck.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your advice. Just out of interest was your surgery done in the uk?

I will see what Orthopedic surgeon says but it would help if someone here could recommend a surgeon.

• Posted

No I am in USA.

Sorry so late in responding....I just figured out how to see my old posts

I agree a referral or someone's recommendation is the best.

Good luck!

Ps plan to have help.

Fully stock up, on food and what not. I thought the knee scooter was amazing frees up your hands. I had help for 2 weeks. And slept on the couch to prop up my foot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.