Reconsidering Gallbladder Operation

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was ready to have the operation to remove my GB but after reading

all the negative posts I'm changing my mind.

It seems too many people are suffering from worse pain and other symptoms after GB removal. The way I'm thinking now is that I can live with my

symptoms , as long as I eat small low fat it's not too bad. Seems like you can have worse problems after the operation.

Anyone else thinking the same ?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Linda, if you need to have your gallbladder removed  for either gallstones or if its not working properly then it is important to have this done as your symptoms will only get worse. I don't mean to scare you but that is generally the route, you may manage it now but further down the line its likely to get much worse. 

I had my gallbladder removed as it wasn't working properly but my doctor and surgeon both said that my pain wasn't all to do with my gallbladder but removing the gallbladder is the first step and then they can treat the remaining symptoms which is what is happening. Yes it does take along time to get sort and back to some form of normality but I don't regret having my gallbladder removed, it was necessary otherwise it would've got worse and could've got infected so now I haven't got to worry about it.

The majority of people don't have any problems after surgery and it is one of the most common operations done every day. Just make sure you rest after surgery and don't rush to get back to normal as it does take longer for some than expected. I know people who've had there's out due to gallstones and they're fine now and I've been on this site since October and people come on and then disappear once they've had surgery as they don't have a need anymore. Some people stay on here to help others and share their own experiences while other still need the support that this site gives.

I found the surgery was much easier than I expected and I was scared stiff as I'd never had an operation before.

Good luck with your decision, take care x

• Posted

Hi.  I had my gall bladder removed last October due to gall stones.  I am the biggest wimp when it comes to pain or surgery and I wondered the same - do I or don't I?  But I'm glad I did.

i don't really watch my diet either - I'm just sensible about what I eat, though there are many times my sensibility escapes me - when I totally forget I don't have a gall bladder!  

Very high fat affects me such as a full English and my family are under orders NOT to let me have fish and chips when I fancy them (though I have yet to try just a fish on its own).  But when I say it affects me, it just repeats on me for a few hours so it's not so bad.

if you need it, go for it. There's no need to suffer.

• Posted

So glad to hear it has been a good thing for you. I have been suffering symptoms for years, but only got confirmed gallstones in April. After being told it would be a six to nine months wait for surgery, and after several calls to the hospital, I now have a date for the pre op assessment on 14 Kuly, and they are putting me on a cancellation list after that. I am pretty nervous, particularly about post op, but I need this removed!
    • Posted

The op took 50 minutes I remember going in at 11 was back on ward for 12.I was in a bit of discomfort was given morphine whilst I was under.
    • Posted

Oh wow. That's quick. I am sure I'll be fine. Hope so anyway!!

• Posted

Because I was last on the list the day I had my surgery (I had open surgery) I watched all the patients who were having laparoscopy go down. Some even walked to theatre. It seemed no time at all before each was back up on the ward. They were soon sitting up, drinking and eating. Some of them were quite elderly and a couple quite infirm but they were all recovering well by the time I went for surgery. I also know four others who've had laparoscopic cholecystectomy and all recovered well and have no issues with diet and no complications. Just remember that complication are rare. For every person with complications, there are 99 who have no issues.

Post operatively it will take a while, but don't try to push yourself. Don't lift heavy things, drink loads of water, avoid fatty food for two or three weeks and get plenty of rest.

• Posted

Thank you. That's really reassuring. I just hope I don't have too long to wait now, as all these symptoms are just too debilitating. Hope you are doing okay.

• Posted

I know how awful the waiting is. It's hard to believe that patients have to wait so long while they're in such pain. Some of my attacks lasted around four days, during which I couldn't sleep or eat, so by the time I had surgery, I was exhausted and that's not good. You need all your strength to recover.

I found doctors, in the main, unsympathetic. They seemed to take a 'you brought it on yourself' attitude. My GP actually laughed and wished me good luck when I told him I was waiting for elective cholecystectomy! Yet it's not just being overweight that can cause it: there are other factors. Some sufferers are slim- so how do they explain that? I even wonder if a bad gallbladder can make you put weigh on in the first place? After all, it's all about digesting fat isn't it?

I felt an immediate sense of relief when I came round. Not having pain and all the other horrible symptoms is a good feeling. There comes a point where you just have to put your trust in the surgical team as what's the alternative?

• Posted

I have wondered about weight gain. Over the last two to three years I put on about a stone and a half. I had put it down to the menopause, but I have been thinking it might be the gallbladder. I am so looking to bring rid of it and hopefully feeling much better. Pain, discomfort and painful bloating, constantly, is no fun, as you know.
    • Posted

Hi the good thing to come out of my nightmare is I lost weight couldn't eat I dropped from a size 22 to a 16 I can't eat dinners no more as I get stitch and blow up work I cut sugar out as well i eat brown bread toast for breakfast a couple nights through day salmon salad or stir-fry for tea and yogurt for night time snack my taste buds went I'll soon be well enough to start walking further as I'm still bit wobbly take carexxx

• Posted

I think doctors think the idea that a bad gallbladder can make you put weight on is rubbish. That doesn't explain why slim people still get gallstones though does it?

Daughter's sister-in- law is very slim, has never been overweight, yet had to have hers out in January. My mother- in - law, also very slim, had open cholecystectomy, yet rarely ate dairy at all especially anything creamy - even yogurt. She never ate cheese and was not a lover of ice cream. So why did they get gallstones?

I think I have had minor attacks for a number of years but put it down to eating something that wasn't quite right. I thought I must have developed an allergy to prawns at one stage, yet the first meal I had when I came out of hospital after a week was prawn cocktail!!

It just seems a big coincidence that the gallbladder helps digest fat and I piled weight on. Largely through eating low fat to control pain, I have lost over three stones and I'm lighter than I've been for years (3 dress sizes).

• Posted

I have had gallbladder attacks not for months, this one last night was a bad one, have any of you had or felt like there was a lump or something in the back it's my gallbladder I feel it over my stomach on my right side to when I move. I had colic pain today, it was bad, now I am sore have any of you had it this bad?

ive been blaming ulcers and reflux from excessive use of ibuprofen and aspirin for a strain of my knee which started it all again.  I've been eating fatty foods also a lot this month.   I want to save my gallbladder so I'm going to fast for a day and take Tylenol for pain, and see how things go, then start with food elimination and small meals. 

• Posted

Sorry you're experiencing these problems. Gallstone attacks are very painful.

You don't say if you're waiting for surgery or trying to manage your problems without resorting to it. I think you need to make an appointment with your GP who can refer you for the appropriate tests if your condition is deteriorating.

Aspirin and Ibuprofen should not be used long term especially if you have digestive issues. I also think codeine (or anything containing codeine) is bad as it constipates you and upsets the balance of the bowels, which is also not a good idea if you are already having digestive issues. Paracetamol is safer. However you have to stick to the recommended dosage with all painkillers.

I was recommended to eat a low fat diet to help control the symptoms, especially the awful pain. It did help and it reduced the length of my attacks from 3-4 days to 3-4 hours. I'm afraid you just have to avoid fats if you want to avoid pain. Also avoid large heavy meals and spicy foods. When it gets bad BRATs diet can help: bananas, rice, applesauce, tea and toast, although I found I couldn't eat at all during attacks. Again BRATs diet shouldn't be used long term but it may help get you through a bad episode.

• Posted

I would think very careful about not having the operation.  There may come a time when diet along doesn't make any difference.  I have had a lot of issues, including extra surgery with more to come.  But I know I am the exception and not the rule.  Most operations are straight forward.  Bear in mind that those who have an easy time are less likely to complain than those that don't! If you do leave it in and it becomes infected, that is where the real issues begin, both for you, but also for the surgery, as it's more difficult and hence risky then. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.