recover after total hysterectomy keyhole 69 years of age 10 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Post 10 weeks laparoscopic hysterectomy. Taken were womb cervix both tubes and both overie. I am 69 and still feel as though i have been trampled on. Was under impression that keyhole surgery was the best for quick recovery

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You had a major surgery and it can take a while to recover. If you are not happy with your recovery you should make an appointment and speak to your physician. Baby yourself. 

Maybe you need blood work done to see what your body is deficient in. 

• Posted

Hi there, I was 61, when I had my hysterectomy 13 months ago, I had mine done vaginally (everything gone) so again speedy recovery so they say, I think we older ladies take a little longer to recover, while I can mostly do everthing I used to before the op, I still get very tired a lot quicker than before, I have put on weight so I know this doesnt help but by the end of the day I am completely 'wiped' and by the end of the day I mean 6-7pm, up until a few weeks before my op I was working, just part time, I don't think I could do it now, I hate not having much energy but it is a small price to pay for not almost bleeding to death and getting rid of cancer, it is still frustrating though.

Phoebe

• Posted

I think you are right about us older ladies need more time to recover. I think i might still in shock. I had the tests done at the hospital 14 oct. The results on the 28 oct which showed up cacerous cells. I had my op on the 10 nov. However as you said it had to be done
    • Posted

I also had cancerous cells, grade 1, do you now have to have 6 monthly checks for 3 years,? I do.
    • Posted

I have to have 3 mths checks for first year. First end of feb this year. Op 10th nov 2015.4 months checks second year and 6 months check for the third year.
    • Posted

That's a lot, but good that they are being thorough, I had my 2nd check a couple of weeks ago, I hate being poked and prodded. frown
  • Posted

Hi

i'm just coming to 12 weeks...same op, plus a lot of major descarring/lesion sorting...i'm quite a bit younger but feeling just as wiped out still. As i keep being reminded, they say it's a marathon not a sprint type recovery. Best wishes.

• Posted

My doctor told me it would be 2-3 yrs. before totally being healed.  Hope you have a doctor that will listen to you.  
    • Posted

That's interesting, I was told up to a year, I think your doctor was right, that makes me feel a little better this morning,thanks for posting your comment.

Phoebe.

• Posted

Hi Phoebe and others, I've not been active on this forum for a while and thought I'd look you up again, Phoebe. I am 54, nearly 22 months post laparoscopic total hysterectomy for endometrial cancer, and still have tenderness especially around my navel, where they put the main tube in. I avoid tight waist bands and trousers. I couldn't possibly tolerate wearing jeans anymore, and also feel fleeting pains and tenderness in my abdomen from time to time. Another thing is that I have been left with permanent patches of numbness at the top front of my thighs, and also on one side of my left big toe! After one post op checkup in 2014, I was given a full discharge and haven't seen a doc since!
    • Posted

Hi there, you were one of the first (if not the first) ladies I had contact with when I got my diagnosis over a year ago now, glad you are ok, mostly. I remember you mentioning about the numbness, the medics can't give you any help with that or suggest why you have it? I understand where you are coming from RE not being able to wear jeans, I had gallstone/gallbladder removed over 20 years before my hysterectomy and wasn't able to wear jeans before the hyst let alone now after they went through the same place, so all my button front trousers went to charity.

I wasn't going to go for my check ups but decided in favour of it, apart from anything, it is good for me to get away from my 3 mile agoraphobic bubble occasionally, it takes days to recover mentally but it's good therapy nonetheless. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.