Recovered Chronic Anxiety Sufferer

Posted , 71 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this, but wanted to share my story/experience/knowledge with you all and help in any way I can.

I know from my experience with anxiety that success stories are somewhat hard to come by. The reason for this, I believe is twofold. Firstly, once people 'recover' from this ilness, they carry on with their lives as normal, often without much of a thought as to how they were before. Also, I believe that for people who have a sucess story to tell, the thought of going on forums such as this to share their experience can be quite a daunting one. Oftentimes, people want to leave that chapter of their life behind, and not be reminded of it. I know this because I have been guilty of both of these reasons. This is worth bareing in mind; my point being that a lack of success stories isn't because they are rare, but because of the reasons detailed above.

It's hard to say specifically when I 'recovered' from experiencing chronic anxiety. If I were to give a rough idea, I would say that I have been 'anxiety free' for around 2 years. Previous to that, I had experienced chronic, debilitating anxiety for roughly a 2 year period. I, like everyone else, considered myself the worst case - beyond help. I experienced all manner of symptoms; you name it, I experienced it. I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder and GAD. I saw a therapist, attended group sessions with other sufferers, but to no avail. I frequented forums such as this one and read post after post, all the while feeling more anxious and more dispondent (probably due the lack of success stories.)

I will mention now that I am in no position to advise on medication issues. As bad as I thought I was, I refused to go down the route of medication. This is not to say that medication is a bad approach, but it was one that I chose not to take, and thus feel insufficiently experienced to advise on this specific topic.

I will keep this first post brief. I would like to think I have been where you have been, and came out the other side. Recovery is not a linear path whatsoever, one of the reasons why I cannot name a specific point on my journey where I was rid of anxiety and its symptoms.

My 'recovery' was down to multiple factors. Predominantly, educating myself tirelessly on every nuance of this illness. I have a degree in Microbiology and Biochemistry, so understanding how things worked at a biological level really helped me. I combined this knowledge with a new (read: fairly basic) understanding of Psychology, plus several self-rationalized 'a-ha!' moments to gradually alter my mindset over time.

I am not a special case. There is not a rare combination of factors that meant I could achieve recovery and you cannot. I am here to attempt to answer questions you may have (not medication related, apologies) and hopefully help you along your own journey. I work a 9-5 job, and have several hobbies, so I will attempt to respond to anyone between these times, but I may not be able to answer all questions.

If you do not want to ask a question, then please take this post as a tiny bit of inspiration to push you along your journey to recovery. You CAN and WILL be rid of your anxiety disorder, that I can promise you.

To your success,

Matt

19 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi There I have panic disorder and GAD. As a child I was fairly hyperactive but I grew up in a volatile household. My father was an alcoholic and was violent not towards me but to my mother on a regular basis. I was my mothers protector and without realising it shielded my brother and sister also from a lot off hat was going on. I am naturally a very caring person who likes to solve problems. So I think I tried to fix what was going on with my parents to my detriment. I recall feeling a weight of sadness that I carried around a lot as a child. But I do also recall being a spontaneous , happy and fun loving child a lot of the time. I was always looking for the fun in things no matter what the situation was I liked to cheer up a boring situation esp in the classroom I was the class clown. My counsellor says that was my coping mechanism to keep the sadness away. When I was 16 I had a nervous breakdown without realising it everything that had happened to me prior to this had built up and caused me to start having anxiety attacks. I am now 52 years old and have been searching for many years to find a cure for this debilitating anxiety. I have educated my self to the hilt on possible causes etc . My take on it is it's partly genetic, partly circumstances. I tend to think that people who end up with any anxiety disorder from their lifestyle or circumstances have a better chance of full recovery than people who are genetically predisposed . If you are wired this way from birth and don't handle stress very well and also have circumstances that exacerbate the anxiety how can you change your brain chemistry or reverse what is already part of your natural wiring. I do know the method you use to recover is to allow the anxiety to be there at all times. Just wear it like a glove and get on with life it is what I have finally decided will be the only thing that will help me in any way. I have only been doing this for the past 6 weeks or so. What I am finding is the exhaustion I am feeling from facing situations that are fearful. By just allowing the anxiety to be there causes bodily sensations that you have to just allow to be there. What I want to know is does that exhaustion ever become easier. I am trying to approach things slowly so that I don't overdo things too much. I also have much knowledge on the biochemistry side of things and I am on an appropriate diet for me and have discovered a practitioner who knows a lot about my genetics. Mthfr, pyroluria etc there are many variants that are contributing to my anxiety. But I am wondering how much control I have over my anxiety myself. I understand and know how to change my way of thinking to calm the anxiety down. But will this eventually ease my anxiety enough that it isn't so exhausting. Can I change my brain chemistry through practicing mindfulness. I get tired at times and find it hard to find the enthusiasm and positivity to keep going. But I'm not a quitter and I'm stubborn so I'm hoping those traits will see me succeed at quietening the anxiety to a level that is manageable. What are your thoughts😄
  • Posted

Thank You Matt for sharing your story..I have felt alone in all this Chronic Debilitating Anxiety since 2008..Its like a beast!! I hate it soooo much... It has changed my life drastically...and my quality of life has NEVER been the same!! I pray always for God to just take all this Anxiety away from me...It is soo hard to live with and you get stuck in a viscious circle of worrying when the next one will hit you again!

• Posted

Hi I jus read your post and I really need help! I've never suffered from anxiety I don't believe or maybe it wasn't this bad until I had a surgery a few weeks ago, my surgery went fine and everything was good except in my head I jus keep having bizarre thought and I still do I always think something is wrong ! I get chest pains/tightness , headaches jus started daily! , and my head jus feels foggy and I'm always overthinking everything and it sucks so much. I read so many post and they make me feel better at the moment but then I get back depressed and then my head begins to hurt and I start getting nervous and the anxiety kicks back in. I jus want to feel better..

I've been to the hospital because I jus freaked out one day and they didn't say or do much! I jus feel like nobody understands me and I jus need help!!

• Posted

Hi matt, thank you for sharing your story. I, like you in the middle of your anxiety spend times in forums constantly. I am educating myself constantly and it has helped me alot. I have dealt with every anxiety symptom there is over the past 2 months. After educating myself and seeing a therapist I have began to realize that I have experienced some symptoms of anxiety since I was a kid. However nothing an severe as these past two months have been. The strange part is my anxiety and panic attacks came basically out of nowhere. Now I struggle with panic attack, general anxiety, nocturnal panic attacks, depersonalization, derealiazation, nervousness, insomnia anything you can think of. Luckily I can still function day to day as fsr as maintaining school and work however my quality of life is definitely suffering. Basically im wondering if these are symptoms you both experienced and overcame. I can experience hours or even a full day of peace and relaxation and enjoyment then all of a sudden feel a shift in mood to the anxiety (fill in any symptom previously named) is this normal understandable. My therapist says I am hard on myself but it is my nature to search for reasoning so when I experience these symptoms it can put me.in a spiral of constantly thinking.about why or how its it's happening and whet these feelings should be validated rather then just let go and keep faith. I know your just another anxiety sufferer and not a.doctor or.anyrhing but if you can relate and.help get back to me. Im hoping for a full recovery so I can feel 100 percent like myself again. I hate the thought that I wont get back there. Thankyou
    • Posted

Hi,

That's exactly what I do , I am completely hard on myself.

Wondering why it happens one day and not the next.

I wonder how to stop being so hard on oneself .

X

• Posted

Hello matt, thanks for sharing. I've had anxiety for the past year, no real panic attacks, just internal jitteriness and wierd mood/thoughts and palpitations. Was diagnosed as had g.a.d., was put on mirtazapine for 6 months, didn't really help. Still have the same symptoms and usually have them in just the first six hours upon waking, not really at night, don't have trouble sleeping either. Do you thing by any chance this can be something other than anxiety? I take activan whenever I get too bad, would like to be free of it though, would appreciate any feedback, thanks

• Posted

An inspiration. I have health anxiety...I halve had for.perhaos 25 years. I frequently check, Google, have tests and seek reassurance... I have previously convinced myself I have aids, Ms, also, ra, a bleeding disorder, brain tumour, meningitis, cancer of throat, pancreas, esophageal, stomach, bowel, celiac disease ( that one may actually be right) you name.it! Do far to say you can cover many illnesses in 25 years. I have suffered social withdrawal due to fear of ebola etc.. I have isolated myself so that friends.dont notice my action (they do) I am actually externally upbeat in appearance and have many friends... If anything I am considered the comedian of my peers. Yet everyday I battle my demons... I have done cbt... Person centered counselling... Groups and those hideously depressing forums that just give me more diseases to consider. My incredibly supportive partner (despite voicing his frustrations) said somthing to me last week the resonated. If you want to beat this, and you need.to for me, you and the kids, find someone who has and copy what they do... Hopefully that is where you might come.in! I am forever hopeful x
    • Posted

HI Sam I am currently going throrugh health anxiety and its terrible I feel it is leading to depression since I feel there is no hope for me. I do not want to take medication and was wondering if you are better now. 
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your stories and for your vulnerability. I have had quite the overload of stress not just through my life but also recently, including my mother's breast cancer diagnosis, a car accident, an increased work load (I'm a self employed photographer), financial stresses, a psychotic ex getting out of prison and contacting me after 11 years, an ongoing bedbug problem in our building, all culminated in me waking up to a panic attack a little over a month ago. I started counseling and felt like I was making definite improvements, had even got to the point where I could fall asleep at night again and was getting out and enjoying life and then she was booked the rest of December and two weeks into January which left me on my own to deal. I thought I'm ok, I've got this, and then I got bit by a bedbug in our apartment (the same thing that triggered the initial one in november). After two trips to our place where the exterminator pretty much insinuated I was imagining things, and little cooperation from our landlord, I finally caught a live bug. The exterminator came back and determined that they are coming from the apartment we share a laundry room with. The experience has overwhelmed me with stress and the anxiety has caused me several times to think I'm losing it. Compounded by the fact that my dad attempted suicide when I was 17. He's lived on antidepressants and psych meds since I was a kid. Despite the fact that I don't personally have any of the syptoms or diagnosis' that he has, I've been terrified in the back of my mind that I would end up like him, probably for most of my life, but that fear has kicked in full force with these panic attacks. I believe I can work through this when I'm feeling clear headed, but it the throes of anxiety it feels like it'll last forever. Although I've lost 15lbs, and am not sleeping very well, I'm still pushing through. I've got an appointment to get back into counseling January 12th and have had to use ativan a few times and some natural supplements, to try and sleep and maintain eating (healthy foods, no sugars or caffeine). I've been trying to walk everyday and work in some yoga, working with deep breathing exercises although I get frustrated with them. I am taking several vitamins/supplements including bcomplex, a multivitamin, vitamins D and C and started trying ashwagandha yesterday. It's easy to get frustrated with yourself. I've been on the brink of giving in and taking medicine an ssri or something but I'm terrified of the side effects and being on it forever. Deep inside I know it isn't the answer or the way for me to heal from this. My counselor believes i can work through this and is confident in me. That thought keeps me pushing until I get back in counseling in a few weeks, If anyone wants to talk or needs support or encouragement through messaging, we can definitely find a way to connect.

• Posted

Hey guys! So I also had GAD and panic disorder. My recovery is just like anxiousless' story. I had all the physical and psychological symptoms of both. I couldn't even drive at one point because I had a panic attack on the road once. But I overcame it. I'm a nursing student and I too think things biologically and am just a pro study-er in general.

I started with searching up for help on forums like these but would always end up with stories of how people have had these mental illnesses for 50 years or so and still have it or people just accepting to live sufferring everyday. I began to lose hope. No matter how many times people told me to stop looking online, I still did. And in the end, I'm glad I did. I looked up success stories specifically. They're hard to find, but I agree that, 1. they've moved on and are now living their lives and 2. they don't want to look back on those days. But there are success stories out there. I come from a family with anxiety and they've all overcame it. I was the most recent case.

Btw, I too did not go on medications.

After weeks of looking up success stories, reading books and articles, and practicing mindfullness, my mind began to slowly alter. Because of the newfound knowledge, I stopped fearing anxiety and I think that's key. Anxiety is fear and anger, once you stop fighting it with fear and anger, it slowly goes away. So here is a just a jot down of what I did.

1. acceptance - It was hard when I was diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder but acceptance is the first step.

2. knowledge - I studied anxiety inside out. Know that these mental illnesses ARE curable. It just takes a lot of work. Know that panic attacks ARE NOT dangerous, no one has ever died from anxiety or panic attacks directly. DO NOT fear anxiety and panic attacks. If they do start coming, do not get scared but instead, embrace it and ask for more because now you know they they're no longer dangerous.

3. practice - practice practice practice

4. patience - like what anxiousless' said, you don't get better overnight. Take things slow one step at a time. Also expect setbacks. Everything I've said is easier said than done of course, but never lose hope or patience.

• Posted

Thank you luceromike for your great success story! I printed Matt's success story and read it all the time and I am now going to print yours as well and read it over and over. This is a beast I've been fighting for a year now but am not going to give up. Thank you so much for the encouragement!!

• Posted

I quit fluocetine after 8 weeks by skipping a day and then completely stopping after skipping like twice. I Was on 20 mg prescribed for what the doctor diagnosed as panic disorder. when

I was starting I was really down with anxiety every moment and even depression and obsessive thoughts with no appetite for anything.

I found it very hard to pray and lost interest in almost everything. day one to four on fluocetine I was feeling very weird with dizziness, fuzzy vision and dried eyes, fatigue, more anxious and wanted to get better so bad. I started to get better from day 5 onwards as promised by my doctor though still continued to experience side effects like neck tension and neck pain, headaches at the back of head and more.

What really helped me was forced prayer and CBT, relaxation techniques and getting busy despite the bad bad feelings. It's been like two weeks since I came of fluocetine and I feel fine with only mild dizziness, cold flu symptoms and some mild stomach cramps all of which don't bother me much. I was scared coming off because of scary posts in forums and fearing the anxiety might come back but now I'm so free thank God! A trace of anxiety still comes from time to time but very manageable and almost unnoticeable. Whatever you're going through right now, just know it really will end and you'll be fine too.

Was writing an inspirational book when all these happened and got stuck but will include every detail of how I overcame my panic disorder/anxiety and depression within only 12 weeks, with 8 of those under medication. on facebook just hit like on 'Salman Metobo page' and you can inbox me if you want this book when it's out or if you just to talk to find some hope too

• Posted

Hi Lori how have you been feeling lately? I hope you have gotten better.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have had GAD and thought phobia on and off for 10 years. I didn't realise I had thought phobia until recently, my thought phobia is "i'm never going to get better" it developed through having GAD and it hangs around so much as soon as that thought comes in its debilitating. I try and lead a normal life 2 jobs, single mum, mortgage to pay but sometimes I want someone to hug me and tell me everything will be OK. I try so hard to face the fear . Christmas was so hard I had to keep a smile on my face will feeling unbelievable scared. Any advice on keeping going and facing the fear.

Also I want to say thank you for posting this success story it gives me hope x x x

Nat

• Posted

Hi Natalie, I feel your pain. I too have GAD. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I am 55 years old. Anyway...here is your hug. xxxxxxx. I am single too, with a job, a teenage kid, and bills. It gets so tiring sometimes to have it all on me. A hug of assurance would be so relaxing, wouldn't it. Take care and know that you are doing a great job for your family. We will get better. We will. HUGS to you, Natalie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.