Recovering from 2nd Frozen Shoulder. Here's what I did.

Posted , 8 users are following.

First off, I want to console you poor souls who are still in the grips of agony. It gets better.

I am a research scientist by profession, so when I got my first out-of-the-blue Frozen Shoulder (left shoulder) at age 47, I dived into the research. I read frozen shoulder blogs, learned about the newest treatments (Xiaflex), performed my exercises, joined this forum, pulled research papers, went to Physical Therapy, watched videos and did everything I could do to make the pain stop. And during that time, I lost range of motion, lost months of sleep, and, many times I lost hope. After about a year of agony, PT, a cortisone shot and a new appreciation for folks in chronic pain, I sloooooowly got better. And eventually regained all of my ROM back. Yay!

But I'm a scientist, remember? I took notes. The research states that for women who get idiopathic ("out of the blue") FS, we have a 20-50 percent chance of getting it in the other shoulder.:-( Knowing that there are conflicting approaches to treatment ("PT all the way!" vs "Leave it alone!"), I thought that if I ever got it again, I'd try a different approach and document those results too.

Four years later, after weeks of denial, I got it in the other (right shoulder). Oh, rapture.

This time, no PT. Cortisone shot early in the process. Another cortisone shot 3 months later. Many soft/gentle massages. No stretching during initial freezing or frozen stage.

And, here are my results:

In a nutshell: Both shoulders locked up ("Frozen" blue line) and recovered at about the same rate whether I did the exercises or not! But the pain ("Pain" red line) was A LOT less the second time around. Perhaps it was the early cortisone shot, or perhaps it was the "leave it alone" approach. All I can say is that, FOR ME, the exercises didn't seem to change the outcome much, but the cortisone shots really helped with the pain.

So, what does this mean for you? Read as much as you can and find what has worked for others and apply it to your situation. Idiopathic FS, like mine, is very different from injury-induced FS, and those often require some of the more aggressive treatments (like MUA or surgery). I attribute my sanity to the honest folks on this forum who shared their successes and misses. There are ages of real home-tested tricks that work. (The best being Frosty's helpful hints - do a search for that thread).

Take comfort that most contributors come and go -- because they got better! Chances are you will too. But until then, soldier on and find the gems in the group wisdom. (And, I apologize for the weird formatting!! This thing messes it all up!)

6 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I like your documentation. Your graphs are great. However, I noticed that you had a very slow onset in both cases, where there was not much pain and not much ROM limitations for a few months, before it started really freezing up. Can you describe what your symptoms were in those early months, before the main pain started?

• Posted

hi everyone

colin here. had lots trouble logging onto site since the update the we had to agree with.

just a big update for you all.

6 days post op. i had subacromial decompression surgery friday 18th sept and cleaned up a small tear. recovery sore. ice cuff worth a million pound.

as i kept insisting all along with my second shoulder about being frozen. while under general anaestetic he probed my ROM. as i said yup second frozen joint. this did not show on MRI or ultra sound. but did visually when looking inside.

long road back now got strength of a new born baby.

i am seeing him in 2 weeks time for stitches out. then to work on the second FS.

all good just a sore bunny

colin

• Posted

Hi Hooser,

So glad your getting better, FS can be so debilitating and very depressing .

My situation is slightly different, I had surgery around 3 years ago for a tear in the cartilage in my shoulder (slap tear), very long healing process but due to the surgery it left me with scar tissue which limited my movement, more the external rotation but other movements were somewhat ok. Again I was placed on the waiting list (my choice) to have the adhesive capsulitis surgery done, during this time I developed bursitis which was extremely painful and started to lose more mobility in my arm, eventually, I was called up for this surgery, so I am now 12 weeks post op, instead of feeling better, I feel worse than when I started, I have extreme pain every day and night, the mornings are the worst, sleeping is an issue and I've lost more mobility in my arm, can't do the simple things like wash my hair, very frustrating . Currently doing light physio, I've had acupuncture done as well but nothing seems to be working.

Have you or anyone else on this chat experienced a failed FS surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.