Recovering from Ankle surgery , 9 months in and still have pain & struggle to walk is this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone ! 2018 , this april . i fractured my right ankle in 3 places , week later i went through surgery to have 12 pins and plate put on one side and two screws on the other side. healing was going well but very painful. after four months i was walking fully without crutches at short distances. now fast forward to september i started my new job which is physically demanding , which i knew would effect my healing process but i cant afford to stay out of work and staying home drove me crazy. but its been nine months now since the op and after an hour or two of walking or standing my foot seizes up and i start to limp is this normal? or should i be walking without any complications by now ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm in a very similar position to yourself, 3 fractures and dislocation to my right ankle, 1 plate and 10 screws. However after 7 months, for 2 of which I was walking without crutches or an Airboot whilst having Physio as it appeared the healing was going very well , it has been discovered that the main fracture on the plate side (Fibula) has not fully healed, and a large crack is visible as well as a slight misalignment of the bone during the 2 operations.

As a result I have to wait until Feb 2019 whilst taking Vitamin D supplements to see if it will naturally resume healing, if not I will have to undergo the removal and refitting of the plate, essentially starting all over again. I have been off work and festering at home since May and as you said, it drives you crazy. (My job is physical and requires me to drive and carry heavy equipment on the motorways)

I too had the complications of seizing up and I walk with a limp almost continuously, but at 9 months to still be seizing up sounds like your ankle needs investigating further, as over doing it now could cause further damage.

My advice would be to ask for further x-rays and possibly a CT scan, just in case there are signs of delayed or stalled healing which may need intervention, it may not show any warning signs, in which case its just a matter of patience and Physio, but if it is something more serious it's best to get it sorted now than to suffer later down the line.

I hope it all goes well for you.image

• Posted

thankyou for the advice , it has helped ease my mind a little. im going back to see the doctor who operated on me after christmas so hopefully everything goes well 😃

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this now, it is definitely not normal. I recommend you go back to your doctor, make sure everything is structurally sound before you do anything. If everything is well, I suggest you go to physical therapy. It is very possible you weren't completely healed or damaged something else by the excessive standing and walking. So check with your doctor first, and then follow through with your physical therapy. Best to you this new year. Keep us posted on your improvements!

• Posted

Hi thankyou for the advice 😃 i have an appointment towards end of January at the hospital to have an x-ray to make sure everything is well. i will be sure to keep everyone up to date.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.