Recovering from Big Toe Fusion and worried

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi

I had my right big toe fused due to arthritis a couple of weeks ago and am currently recovering at home - keeping my foot raised, wearing the big shoe and so forth. My bandages have been removed and everything looked ok, but I have noticed that I can still move my toe a little. Surely it should be impossible due to the metal plate and screws? Or will it slowly stiffen over the next three weeks? I am very worried that at 6 weeks the xray will show the joint has not fused and will require further surgery. Has anyone else had this problem?

Andy

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I had hammer toe surgery with permanent pins in my toes. I am 1 month post op and when I walk I can still curl/bend those toes and feel pain. I was concerned and very disappointed because I thought having this surgery will prevent bending of my toes, which therefore will alleviate pain. My surgeon told me during my 1 month post op follow up that my toes should stiffen overtime. He explained foot surgeries take months to a year to heal. I just have to continue my range of motion exercises everyday and start physical therapy in 2 weeks. My 1 month foot xray was stable post op arthrodesis of my toes.

Hang in there as I will try as well.

• Posted

Hi Amie

Thanks for this - it's good to know that other people have concerns and that things should stiffen over time... here's hoping!

Andy

• Posted

I hope you feel better soon. And you have a great outcome confused Sorry I can't help with an answer but want to wish you well  

Baily

• Posted

Hi Andy

I have had this operation and it takes a while for the joint to fully fuse.  I think that it is probably a good thing not to move it too much at this early stage.  I kept mine up for 2 weeks and then went back for a review and I don't think I walked in a normal shoe until about 12 weeks.  Mine has worked really well - no pain.

It is important to keep the last joint in the toe moving as my orthopod told me that if you don't manually move it up and down occasonally the tendon across the top of the foot will shorten.

I hope yours goes as well as mine has.  I am now back to decent walks each day.

Good luck

Fran

• Posted

Hi Fran

Thanks so much for this - it's very reassuring. It's three weeks post-op and I've already had my bandages off but my wound is healing slower than they would like so I'm keeping the foot raised as much as possible, and still wearing the big black shoe 24/7. I'm being reviewed and xrayed in 3 weeks, so hopefully it will be stiffer then...

Thanks for the tip about my last joint - I will manualy bend it every day when I clean my foot!

Andy

• Posted

Hi Andy,

how have things turned out?

i am day one post a double big toe fusion.

Im in a lot of pain, any advice on when it subsides or did for you?

really concerned about the final result, have both feet wrapped in soft plaster i think. intend to rest fr 2 weeks, elevated 23hrs a day.

i was told i shouldnt use ice., would love to but they said it cools the screws and can make wound wet, not good at early stage? this the same for you?

is there any advise you can give me or Fran or anyone who reading for the best recovery?

thanks fr any advice u can offer.

best

duncan

• Posted

I ice, but not on the actual area of fusion. I ice behind my knee, that is how my Dr told me to do it. Now it makes sense, he said that it would have the same effect as if it were on the actual wound as the same meres and all start up north! I have NO pain unless now and then a nerve wakes up to say he is upset! This is my 3rd surgery and 2nd dr on my big toe. I took 1 pain pill when I got home and after that none. This is my first fusion. I had spurs removed first 5 yrs ago. then I had a joint replacement in 2017. Now, new dr and a fusion with a pin in the 2ndtoe to straighten it. I had a follow up 5 days after surgery. Dr showed me xray of the after surgery and i saw the metal plate and of course the pin on the next toe. They just looked at the incision cleaned it and redressed it. I am with a kneel scooter, absolutely no weight bearing. I go back in 2 wks for my xray and then maybe, a big maybe, i will be able to start some weight bearing.

That's my story and iam sticking to it!

• Posted

i use ice all the time 20 minutes every hour fir the first 2 weeks that was the only thing that took away that burning stinging feeling

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I hope you are recovering well, week 1 for me, curious did you sleep in the boot? , I have been advised too, but find it hard to remain comfortable, sleeping is the only difficulty I'm having.

• Posted

Hi Fran,

your reply to Andy is inspiring. i have just had both big toes fused, day one of recovery.

any advise u have for best healing and early pain relief would be much appreciated.

thank you and hope yr toes r healing well.

rgds

duncan

• Posted

hi Duncan,

I just found this and I know its an old forum but had both my big toes fused almost 2 weeks ago. Was wondering how yours have healed? I'm so worried I won't enjoy my summer or get to ride my motorcycle . 8 weeks out will be around June 1.

Thanks

Anele

• Posted

I am 2 weeks from surgery and was wondering did anyone else have a lot of bruising around the ankles that is more sore than the other areas of the foot .

• Posted

I am 2 weeks from surgery and was wondering did anyone else have a lot of bruising around the ankles that is more sore than the other areas of the foot .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.