Recovering from carpal tunnel relase

Posted , 7 users are following.

On May 19th I had carpal tunnel release surgery I still have my stitches in and I want to know what am I'm suppose to be doing..not able to move fingers and can't make a fist please any advice

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My dr left the stitches in 21 days. I could move my fingers & wrist a little but wait was thought to be most effective for scar tissue to heal. As soon as the stitches came out, they gave me a few excercises & also had me squeeze a soft ball. Recovery from there was fairly quick w some numbness for 3 months & tenderness on the scar area but not bad. Be patient. Even what they call simple surgery takes time to heal. And ask your dr if something needs clarification

• Posted

Wiggle your fingers. Keep trying to use your hand. My surgeon said the used hand heals best. I found if I was very protective I had a LOT of pain. Overdoing it hurt also but less. Seems to me your sutures should be removed by now.
  • Posted

FIrst Rossmom let's find out exactly how bad it is. You say you cannot move your fingers? Do you mean you cannot wiggle your fingers in any way? Or is it you cannot really grasp stuff? You say you cannot make a fist. That is okay you are only a few weeks post surgery. I still cannot make a fist hard enough to get into a fight yet either. I am 2+ months post surgery.

If you can wiggle your fingers and grasp or grab a hold of some stuff you are doing fine. Do not expect to be able to do what you want for about 2 months. You do have to make an effort to keep moving those fingers. That is critical. If you do not and just let them heal in place you will pay a high price later trying to get them to move.

Age is a factor as well. The under 50 crowd will heal faster. The over 60 crowd will take longer. You will be fine. Your stitches being in tells me that you are just about to have a follow-up to have them removed. At that time show them what you are able to do. Let their expertise ease your mind that you are healing well.

• Posted

I had stitches out after 10 days. Initially told to do finger exercises at home 2/3 times a day as in bending fingers into fist. This was a slow process for me. It was a long time before I could make a complete fist. Be patient it will come together. Agree also you should try and use it normally as much as you can starting with simple things. Touching each finger with the thumb is good exercise as well. Although reaching the little finger was hard initially. Everything is painful for a while so be guided by the pain. Little and often is good. It does get better. Good luck.
  • Posted

As others have mentioned, recovery time varies from individual to individual. I had both my hands done just a couple days after you on May 21. My doctor did say to keep moving the fingers and make a fist several times a day. This is to prevent stiffening. I know it might be uncomfortable, but see if you can't maybe use your other hand to try to help get more movement in that problem hand. It might be good for your doctor to recommend physical therapy. Like Janet. My stitches came out 10 days after surgery. If you don't already have an appointment scheduled with your doctor I recommend trying to see him or her as soon as possible to discuss where you're recovery is currently at. Hang in there. It does take time and I know you will have full recovery.

• Posted

I had my surgery on July 7. The surgeon told me to elevate my hand above my heart and to wiggle my fingers and make a fist 5-6 times an hour from the time I awoke to prevent scar tissue to develop in the area. It was painful when it was no longer numb 11/2 days later. It is now day six and I can make a loose fist with little pain. Have a lot of pain in wrist and palm and occasional pain that feels like a lightening bolt that goes from wrist to middle finger. No visible swelling after day 4 but bruising on upper inner palm and wrist. I cannot grasp things with thumb and first finger and severe pain when bending wrist or turning it'll.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.