Recovering from DGHAL hemorrhoid op

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone recently undergone this surgery? I am currently day 9 post op and still in a living nightmare.... This apparently "less painful" procedure to fix my grade 3's has given me a lot more than i bargained for...

i have seriously never experienced such pain in my life (the fact they gave me morphine to go home with and signed me off for 4 weeks should have rung alarm bells, i know)!!

the pain was seriously so bad i had practically taken up residence in the bath tub for just a bit of relief. It was from this bath tub 5 days in that i ended up calling myself an ambulance because this just wasn't right, surely i should be suffering from a pain the butt right, not feeling as if my entire downstairs was about to explode. Added to that my belly looked bigger than it had when i was 7 months pregnant. I just didn't know where to put myself. So off to a&e i go and discover something they never warned me about pre op, urinary retention. Now i knew i was having trouble peeing but thought i was getting most of it out via the bath or my new pee standing up method but clearly not. A catheter was swiftly inserted and they drained 1.5 litres of fluid. This was quite impressive apparently, the most the nurse in a&e had ever seen! There was instant relief. I should mention that i still hadn't had my first post op poo at this point despite taking the laxatives. That soon changed when i got up to the assessment unit and oh my god. armageddon !! The poor nurse, the poor other patients (there was no toilet i could get to in time but luckily a commode)... it wasn't so much the pain i remember but i know i nearly passed out, cold sweats, panic attack the lot. Anyway even though i had this massive release the docs thought that the reason i couldn't pee was because i was backed up so the next day i received not one but two enemas. Now an enema in itself is not so bad, but up a bottom that had just had hemmorhoid surgery? well i was staring to think these people were sadists! But this was still to no avail and i simply could not pee. The catheter went back in and they threatened to send me home with it for 2 weeks hoping that when my bottom was better my bladder would start behaving itself. I was not looking forward to this prospect at all. Anyway long story short the next day the pain in the but was a little less and i managed to pee and got released catheter free, hurrah. Now for the next problem, since coming home i cannot stop going to the toilet. i have constant diarrhea. Is this a hang over from the enemas? i don't know but i wish it would stop!! i'm not taking laxatives at the moment because literally everything i eat is going straight through me 😦 this is obviously not helping with the sore bum situation. Has anyone else experienced this? It just seems to be one thing after another. i'm sure with any other op i've had after 9 days i've been pretty much back to normal... Lying here with a hot water bottle clutched to my bottom wondering when am i going to start feeling human again???

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie,

well you certainly gave me a good old chuckle this morning with your hilarious description of the last 9 days of your life. Not that what's actually going on is in any way funny.

My consultant told me to take one sachet of fibre jel after my main meal every day for three months. It thickens up diahorrea as well as keeping you regular. If you're in the UK then buy if from the prescription counter of Boots as it's cheaper than off the shelf at supermarkets. It worked for me.

I had my op last November and was fully recovered by the beginning of January. The first six weeks were agony and I literally cried emptying my bowels. I found cleaning with the shower head rather than sitting in the bath, air drying or using the hair dryer on cool and a smear of nappy cream around but not on the area kept the soreness at bay.

You will get there eventually 😁.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Julie, hope you are feeling better. You have had it hard after the operation. I had my haemorridectomy in September and the first 4 - 5 weeks was sore but not as bad as you describe. I also had issues with bowel movements, sometimes it was loose and I couldnt seem to control it, and then I was constipated which is NOT what anybody wants after the opp!

Keep of the stool softners / laxitives until your stomach is a bit normal. Have healthy food, and drinks lots. After the opp the nurses do say some people have issues with urinating so before they discharge you they always want you to try and go

Just rest, thats all you can do really. Eat small portions, stock up on wet wipes. It will get better, and within a few weeks you will feel human again!

• Posted

its a nightmare isn't it? i feel like i've been ill forever (i'm not very patient!) but i'm actually still very early days. ... 😦

• Posted

I know what you are going through. But honestly, i think it was week 4, one day I woke up and that soreness in my bum had just disappeared and it was just a turning point for me.

Lie down on your side, take time off and rest. Be careful what pain killers you have as some can also make you constipated. It does get better slowly. Just think you have to put up with this for 3-4 weeks, then you can enjoy the rest of your life without all of this!

• Posted

Thanks. It's good to know there are other out there.. i have ditched the morphine and am coping pain wise on paracetamol and iboprofen, seems to be taking the edge off. I suppose as with all over recoveries there'll be good days and bad...

• Posted

Thats it and everyone reacts differently. Hopefully your tummy isnt loose as much now...If so just cut down the foods until you settle a bit and have a healthy diet. Day time TV is not great so download netflix or get some films lined up for the next few weeks! Hope it goes well, let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Just a bit of an update... two and a half weeks post op and i'm undecided as to if i'm actually feeling any better yet...! lt just seems to go from one thing to another.. The level of general pain in the butt is much reduced i will admit, i've gone down to just paracetamol now with the odd ibuprofen after a bm. Now the general pain is like the time i fractured my cocyx - higher up and a dull throbby pain located at my tailbone. Still having to lie down a lot and take lots of baths for relief.... But its my stomach thats getting to me at the moment.. im either having to leg it to the loo because i took a senna the night before, or perhaps worse, when i don't take one i am instantly blocked up and go through what feels like 15 mins of labour to produce what can only be described as a pebble 😦( i have upped my fibre and liquid intake but it doesn't seem to help. will my bowels ever work normally again??? this recovery is so depressing.. 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.