Recovering from Diverticulits after taking antibiotics but still having some pain.Is it normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes. Your colon has been through heck, now's the time to be nice to it. Stay on a soft bland diet, stay away from red meat, caffeine, fried foods, gassy vegetables and fruit. It will take time but eventually you will find what foods your body will tolerate.

• Posted

Hi

Yes it can take ages for the pain to finally go, from weeks to months. The illness has caused inflammation/infection inside you. If you think about even an ordinary cut, you will be red and sore for some time afterwards, depending on what kind of healer you are. My first attack it took 4 weeks for the pain to go, so 4-6 weeks is normal. My last attack I had some pain daily (particularly first thing before I went to toilet) for a year, and eventually was pain free after 18 months. Sounds bad but it was just the odd niggle and it soon got so I didn't notice it.

Your gut has been stripped of all bugs - good and bad - so as Glenda says, treat it carefully. Keep a food diary and note any foods that give you problems. I can't take gluten and full fat to this day, and I've lived with the disease 18 years. Others have different intolerances. It does get better, and I hope you are a quick healer.

• Posted

What antibiotics were you given? They're all strong stuff and it will take your gut a long time to heal as the other replies have said - probiotics are essential to help restore the good bugs in your colon - I have no idea why the doctors never tell you to take probiotics!

You don't say what sort of pain it is now - is the pain just in your gut or elsewhere?

• Posted

Miriam is absolutely right. I learned the hard way. I was told to take a probiotic every morning especially after my surgery. Well to make a long story short, my incision, stomach was bothering me, actually hurt. I realized I had forgotten to take my probiotic for a couple weeks. Almost immediately after taking it the pain stopped. Now I never forget it. Probiotics are so so extremely important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.