Recovering from Labrynthitis

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello All,

I am hoping to hear from people who are recovering from labrynthitis.  I had my first episode of veritgo a month ago and am struggling to feel balanced again.  The difficult part of it for me is knowing when to push and exercise my brain and when to rest.  I have been going to work, but am finding that by about 2:00 p.m., I am spinning and very uncomfortable.  If I work the whole day, my evening is totally awful - very very dizzy.  Any suggestions?

Best,

Linda

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I know how you feel I'm a hairdresser and finding it very difficult to work with labrynthitis .

I just try and focus on something near by.

People say it does get better over time but we shall see.

Are you taking any medication ?

Rach x

• Posted

Hi Rach,

thanks for replying. How long have you had it?  Do you find that you feel a lot worse when you're tired?  I try not to get anxious about it, but it's a lot of positive self talk. I'm thinking I should drop down to half days for a couple of weeks, but haven't decided yet. I push myself to go for a walk in the evening and to get into a grocery store as often as possible - figure it'll help my brain retrain. What about you.  Do you do anything special to try and help the recovery process?

best,

linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda

I am now over Labyrinthitis. I had it in 2008 for two years. It went away for 5 years and came back for 4 months in 2015.

I had to quit my job because of the dizziness. Looking up and down made me nauseated as well as side to side. I was always very tired. My neck was stiff and sore all the time. My eyes didnt want to focus properly either.

Vestibular rehab therapy helped me a lot as well as anti anxiety meds.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

sounds like you had a terrible bout. I am hoping I will have a much quicker recovery. It really sucks!

Take care,

linda 

• Posted

PS - how long were you dizzy before you did vestibular therapy.

linda

• Posted

Hi Linda

The first time i had it, i didnt find out about vrt until about 18 months into it. Six months after that, it was gone. The 2nd time, i started vrt at 3 weeks!

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie and Linda, 

I don't have the same thing you do, but I do have that off-balance feeling, for about 15 months now. No diagnosis, lots of "maybes". What VRTs did you do? I have been doing them for about 9 months - turning head from side-side while focusing on an object 10 feet away, then up and down (that's harder), walking heel to toe, trying to balance on one leg while touching the wall, and walking, turning my head as above. Nothing is helping... I did finally get the vertigo to go away (several Epley maneuvers, after a year!) but the off-balance remains. Please tell me what exercises helped you? Maybe I need something more challengin. Goinbg to a balance center, but so far no exercises, just

testing! Thank you. And good lluck with it, Linda.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

thanks for your reply. I'm doing VRT as of this week.  I am hoping it will help. Didn't have to work today so I slept off as much dizziness as possible then went out to pick up a few groceries - trying to keep active. Going for a short walk now. Thanks for your support!

linda

• Posted

Hi Dee,

i had it years ago and the best thing I did was walk and walk and walk.  Didn't expect I would have another bout - this time it isn't as bad. Anyway, exercise and walking will hopefully retrain my brain once again!

Best,

linda

• Posted

Hi Dee

I did the same exercises you did!

Time will heal it.

Best wishes,

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie. I had a cold and otitis media very severely in early February. Antibiotics and steroids did not stop it from moving to my inner ear. I've had labrinthitis for almost 6 months now. I was in bed for the month of February as I could not stand up without falling over. I lost some hearing in my ear. I had every test there is and went to VRT for several months. It helped a little but I am still dizzy all the time, except when I lay down. 

The ENT doctor says I will get better eventually, but I don't believe that anymore.  

How did did yours get better?  Just suddenly one day?  My life as I knew it has changed. 

• Posted

Hi Paula

I'm so sorry you are still suffering! It is nasty and can last a long time. Please know that it WILL go away in time. For now, try to go for short walks every day. Even if you have to hold onto someone, it helps to keep your eyes moving to retrain your brain. Do the VRT exercises every day at least twice a day. Drink lots of water and watch your salt intake. I found that if I ate too much sodium, my symptoms got worse. I also took an antidepressant to keep my anxiety low and to help me sleep.

Good luck! You'll get there!

• Posted

Hi Linda, sounds like you're doing the right things, walking and keeping positive. I've had it now for 16 months but most of the time now i just feel unbalanced and a little dizzy when I'm tired or stressed. I do a lot of exercise and I think that has definitely helped me.  Started VRT and found it not much help so I just went back to my normal gym routine, then added walking in water and then some aqua aerobic classes. The water is good because you are unbalanced in it but supported so you can feel safe and retrain your brain at the same time, if that makes sense. I found it hard to get back to swimming because I would spin out when I turned to breath but now I just deal with and it's ok.  Just take it at your own pace, when you're tired rest if you can and don't stress.  It will ease off if not go away completely.  Christine
    • Posted

Thanks for responding, Christine.   I really appreciate your support and suggestions. It isn't fun, to say the least, but I am doing my best to stay positive and active. Am thinking of dropping down to half days for a few weeks - I think I've overdoing it. After a full day and the drive home, I am a spinning mess!

hope you continue to get better

best

linda

• Posted

I could've written your first few sentences. Yes, should swim again, but I do walk as much as I can! Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.