Recovering from Laparotomy with dehiscing wound and fistula

Posted , 2 users are following.

4 weeks ago today I underwent a laparotomy to remove my appendix, right ovary, right Fallopian tube (both of which had formed a mass and which were covered in adhesions probably the result of a hysterectomy 3 years previous) and a large pelvic abscess which had formed behind the mass. Following my return home an infection set in and a section of my wound opened (dehisced) and a fistula/sinus has developed. The fistula is about 3.5cm deep and is being packed daily by the district nurses. I've been told this fistula should eventually heal from the bottom up. My question is, am I being impatient? I am able to walk around the house maybe for 5/10 mins at a time but the area between my pubic bone and fistula gets very uncomfortable, so much so that I have to keep laying down. Has anyone else experienced this please and if so, how long did it last? My incision in a Verticle incision from belly button to pubic bone.

thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Deb - not sure you will get this now as realised you posted sometime ago.  I also have a sinus/ fistula following surgery.  I went in for hysterectomy and ended up with hole in bowel,  now four months later I have this sinus on my wound that leaks constantly.  I have been told it can take 6-9 months to heal or may need further surgery.  Just wondering how you are doing ? 
    • Posted

Hi, yes got your post. I am much better now. I was told mine could take 12 months which worried me sick so I went mad with nutrition. I ate mega amounts of fruit and veg and good quality protein. I took a good quality phytonutrients and organic flaxseed oil. Once I started doing this, my wound started to gradually heal and then suddenly the healing just took off. The nurses and myself were amazed. I honestly think it was my diet that helped. I'm sorry you have had a rough time. It is no fun. I too may have to have further surgery as I have another fluid filled structure in my pelvis. Just waiting for yet another scan but I will make sure if I have to have surgery, that this time I will be the best nourished that I can be, good luck with your fistula.

deb

• Posted

HELLO ,  ME TOO I  HAD HAVE SHPINCTEROTOMY WITH 3 SKIN TAG REMOVAL AND AFTER 11 DAYS I DEVELOPED A FISTULA THEN LAST TUESDAY I HAD A FISTULOTOMY. TODAY 5 DAYS BUT I STIL HAVE PAIN GOING TO THE BATHROOM  AND VERY DEFFICULT TO CLEAN AS I DONT WANT OTHER INFECTION , ANY ADVICE PLEAESE ??

• Posted

Gosh, that's a tricky one given the site. I suppose washing with previously boiled salted water after every bathroom visit is what I would do. Poor you. Fingers crossed it will heal quickly. I wish you luck.

d

• Posted

Hi Deb and Jhon,

Deb - I don't think I saw your initial response until now!  Thank you for reply.  How are you now - did you need more surgery?

im still having problems,  the sinus holes remain and it's now 7 months since my op.  I'm feeling well in myself so it's strange as I would have thought if it was linked to my bowel I would be ill.  I see my consultant regularly and he too says nutrition Is very important.  I will look up the things you suggest in your initial post.  I really don't want more surgery.

hello Jhon - still early days for you I guess.  Hope it all settles down for you soon,

best wishes x 

• Posted

Hello chachacha

i suppose if you feel well then leave alone. Nothing prepared me for what major surgery is like. The nutrition is a must though. I think I'm ok, I'm having horrendous probs with my back though and it can be difficult to recognize what is pelvis and what is back as cause of pain. Good you see your consultant regularly. Where do you live? I'm seeing mine next week, only the second time in a year!

deb

• Posted

I live in Wales Deb.  Even though I feel ok the sinus leak which is not great - sort of beige liquid.  Did yours leak?  I cover with gauze squares so it's ok but just reminds me constantly things aren't good inside.

sorry to hear about your back  - can be very debilitating too.  Damned bodies - oh well got to make the best of it.  How did your fistula affect you ?

• Posted

Hi, mine leaked same color fluid and had a horrible odour. It doesn't leak anymore. The surface has healed however, the nurses said I should have a scan to see if it has healed inside. That hasn't happened I'm afraid.  It was horrible when I had it, so very sore/painful. Just as I thought things were on the mend my back startedsad.

d

• Posted

Nightmare.  Life is not easy at times although I know people go through so much worse and come out other side.  We just have to stay strong and hope that we can either be sorted out by surgeons or in my case learn  to live with it.  It has been suggested further surgery could make things worse for me so I'm between a rock and a hard place,  as the saying goes.

have a good day x best wishes to you x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.