Recovering from my stapedectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is really a follow on from my earlier posts, as I just wanted to give an update on my recovery since having a stapedectomy in my right ear at the LGI on 12th October.

As said, it was my second operation as I had previously had a stapedectomy in my right ear but that was over twenty years ago.

Day of Operation:

All went according to plan, no cancellations fortunately, all staff supportive and very pleasant . Operation performed under general anesthetic ( I was offered the option of local but decided against it), from start to recovery lasted about 1 hour 30 mins. Came round feeling quite pleased with myself, having no after effects from the anesthetic and seemingly my balance was ok too. I was back home by 7pm having had the op at 2pm.

Day 1 Post Op:

With hind site I think I attempted too much, including a short drive, plus a small shop at the supermarket! But I still continued to feel ok.

Day 2:

Still not too bad, although lots of noises in my ear, and what I self diagnosed as pulsatile tinnitus, very annoying and a bit worrying. I had been told to leave all packing in my ear including that in the ear canal so really could not asses if my hearing had improved. Sleeping through the day and not too well at night as I didnt want to lay on mybad` ear.

Day 3:

Did nothing much all day, beginning to get quite dizzy and still had the tinnitus. Not eating a great deal either, bought lucozade to sip on.

Day 4:

Sorry to say but this was my worst day ever, with extreme motion sickness. I had to drag myself to the doctor to be examined and he prescribed Prochlorperazine tablets which helped. Still eating very little

Day 5:

Continued taking the tablets and feeling terrible. Packing in my ear is annoying me so I really hope I get an appointment soon to remove it.

Day 6 (today):

I can now, at last begin to feel some improvement. I am trying with out the sickness tablets so I can asses my progress but I am still taking it steady, Dizziness is still there and some nausea but nothing like as bad as it was on Day 4! The tinnitus has gone too.

Hope this isnt too much information but it really helped me to read what others are going through so hope you feel the same. I still feel it will be well worth the operation once I have made a full recovery

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi I am new here but have read along over the last few months. my stapedotomy was August 30th in Denver a second ie last one in 1992. Happy to say on october 15, my first post operative appointment, low pitched sounds were normal and we expect high pitched to be normal by next appointment on 11/28.

I HAD VERTIGO FOR 11 DAYS.

LOTS OF PACKING IN BOTH INNER AND OUTER EAR.

INNER EAR WILL SELF DISSOLVE BY 11/28.

NO EAR ISSUES, NO TINNITUS.

WAS ON A VERY RESTRICTED MOVEMENT REGIME FOR 6 WEEKS, WALKING AND STATIONARY BIKE FIR EXAMPLE

Not much more to add but I am extremely pleased as already my hearing has returned and improves weekly.

My surgeon was adamant about restricted movement for 6 weeks. nowhere in any posts on various sites have I seen that mentioned.

F or me thats seems to have been key.

hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.