Recovering from Open Carpal tunnel release hand surgery this is day #7

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi , got my right done on the 12th. ..so today is day #7...haven't used my hand at all. It's my right that got worked on...I have been using ice,putting it up..it is sort of stiff.I have been moving my fingers but I feel like I am constantly looking for aftercare instructions. Because what I find is that every one have different advice from their doctors. My doctor told me what to but in bit by bit so I am very unsure. Like do I really not use my hand at all for 12 days until I get the stitches out? And can I go out and walk. ..is it far enough away from the surgery for me to be ok..to be able to go back to walking? ..I went out for a walk on day#5 and got dizzy. ..that's why I am wondering. .being really carful with my hand. .I hope I am doing everything right! ! I have it really bad...8 years now..have to get the other hand done too!!

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had open carpel tunnel release surgery Feb 10th on both hands plus trigger finger release surgery on one thumb. I returned to work 2 days after my surgery, I think the fact that I used my hands immediately helped with my recovery. I just had my stitches out this week, the 22nd. Seems everyone is different in their recovery. Good luck.
    • Posted

Im the same op Feb 2nd. Used hand a.s.a.p. My palm has thickened and can be a tad tender if I lean on it. Had a few random pains but to be expected. Think it depends, have a friend who has just had it at different hospital and she was told to rest for 6 weeks. This used to be the norm so I guess it depends on your surgeons preferred recovery route and obviously how well your incision is healing. I am really happy and pleased with the route I was advised. I thought as my CT was really bad it would mean longer recovery but certainly not the case for me. Good luck everyone. 😊
    • Posted

I'm wondering why my surgeon wants me to wear this forearm splint for two weeks. It really makes my hand hurt worse. I've felt over my incision and it's tender an hard spots where the stitches were. My incision is an inch an a half long. How long was yours? Do you think I should wear this brace for 24hrs a day for 2weeks. I want a good recovery without pt. Help??
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer, just came across your post. How long was you ctr decompression incision? Would you know why my dr wants me to wear a forearm splint for 2wks , 24hrs a day except for shower, dry incision area an then keep a bandaid on it? I feel if I start using it right away I'd recover faster. He wants it mobilized. Ct was really bad on left hand.
    • Posted

Hi. I cant advise what you should do. My incision was just under 2 inches and stopped at the very edge of my palm....it didnt go up my wrist at all. I also had a trigger finger release done. My CT was very bad and surgery was on my dominant hand. I refuse to have the other done until am back to 100% on the first. My surgery out an immediate stop to my symptoms. I was told to do as much with my hand as I could. To be fair I probably over done it a few times as I have a high pain thresh hold generally. What was the explanation you were given for wearing the splints?
    • Posted

He didn't give an explanation other than to keep it from bending for two weeks. But didn't say why?.mine goes to the edge of my wrist to my Palm up an inch an a half. It hurts wearing it.
    • Posted

I tend to over do it as well. Sometimes I'll go to grab an pull something , such as the sheets or covers and get a shooting pain in my hand an up my arm.
    • Posted

I'm not sure, maybe it has to do with how he does the ctr procedure? My incisions are a lititle over an inch, almost inch and a half, I have 3 due to trigger finger release procedure as well. My ct was classified as severe in both hands based on my nerve conduction study and I've suffered from it for 7 years. My biggest problem is the incisions itching.
    • Posted

Probably is just how your surgeon does things and knows it works for his patients. I do catch my palm due to the peeling skin around my incision and it hurts. If when using a fork and it presses my palm it really hurts but its still 3 and a half wks from surgery so think thats fine. I use it normally hoover, cleaned my windows etc. Driving is ok but i live in the sticks and too many bendy roads makes my wrist ache after a while so not back to long journeys yet. (School run is 20miles so thats enough for now) my scar is firm with a thicken around it but i can touch it no problem, im massaging bio oil into it and still have one little scab...this is from the incision they made to remove some stubborn stitches. I guess you better follow the rules given to you but i personally would take it off when i was at rest just for some relief but def wear it at night. X
    • Posted

I'll wear it at night. Mine is peeling too. Looks weird. Had mine done this month on the 11th. Not much strength in it yet. Hurts bad when I accidentally bend fingers an make fist, or any rotation. Wonder how long till it finally stop aching. My incision is numb. Can't feel it. Fingers feel better. I can tell if water is to hot or not. Numbness. Going asleep. Some ppl say it could take months to heal. My thumb bone hurts. How odd. Hope u get to feeling better soon to.
  • Posted

I had carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel (elbow) release surgery on 2/8/15. Stitches removed 12/17/15. Healed well except for the fact that I've had to shovel and carry in firewood.Impossible to do one- handed- also recent widow. I do get sharp pains down through palm when I abuse it. Plan on having dominant hand done in spring
  • Posted

Hi Guys, I go in on the 26th for my right hand to be done, Can anyone tell me what its like and give me any advise. Im terrified if im honest.

• Posted

Hi. Im right handed and had the op in said hand in Feb. Im not sqeamish but if you are having the numbing injection is the worst part so please dont worry. My instructions were elevate and do not use arm for 3 days, then light movement/use then day 10 stitches out and start using it. If it hurts stop but otherwise get going and massage massage massage. I found doing hard massage using my left hand hard so had physio....thier massage bloody hurt but after it always felt looser and supple. I was back to driving and normal duties by 2 weeks. Scar is now so faded you cant even tell. I also had trigger finger and my thumb done. But i will be honest and say i got no special pain relief and on the first night once the ansthetic wore off it really did hurt but I took best meds i had and went to sleep with it up on a pillow and by morning it was fine. Im now waiting on a date for my left hand. Good luck....ask questions about recovery so you know what to do for you as everyone is different.
    • Posted

Many Thanks Emma - How long before you were back to normal? incidentally i have it in my left hand too but its the right hand at the minute and mine is the same thumb and trigger finger
    • Posted

I was back driving, lifting bags etc by 2 weeks. I took it easy but i was told to use my hand as much as possible. I rubbed oil into my scar twice a day...i was told the lump you feel is the scar tissue you have to loosen this as much as possible by massaging if you dont it can result in having to repeat surgery as it restricts movememt. I had days of odd sensations or shooting pain but nothing major. I have 3 young children and after 2 weeks was running round after them like usual. 4 months after the op i went tenpin bowling...no problem. People kept telling me to rest but i was told if it doesnt hurt keep using it. Incidently as soon as my ansethetic wore off I could feel the difference in my whole hand and arm so knew it had worked and ive had no numbness throbbing since. I can occasional catch the scar like if using a screedriver but honestly it was the best decision i made.
    • Posted

Again many thanks for that information Emma, I know a few lads who have had it done and they say the same thing that its the best thing they have had done. I think what is freaking me out is the fact that I have never been to hospital before for surgery
    • Posted

I was in the hospital and back in the car within about an hour. I have had surgery before but like i said the injection is the worse bit...then just look away...the nurse will chat to you literally hold your hand. Chap I was with got really worked up..theyve seen it all before and were great with him. You will be fine.
    • Posted

Nice one - Thanks emma, What oil did you use to help you heal?
    • Posted

Hey craig I just had bilateral open carpal tunnel release. Definitely needed help with food and light stuff for the first 2 days, I had No problem in the bathroom dept by myself. but you shouldn't do anything anyways. After bandages came off doctor said no splints even at night. I started driving again after one week although it was tough, make sure you can open door, fasten and unfastened seat belt and no pain meds. I returned to light duties after one week. I probably will wear a splint today at work just to remind not to move around so much but again, the doctor said no splint. I feel pretty amazing.. I took good care of my health before hand, quit smoking, drinking, ate real healthy, bone broth is great..

I was worried before not knowing what to expect but my doctor did an amazing job and my doctor himself even had the surgery 1 year prior to me so he speaks from experience... good luck with your recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.