Recovering from pneumonthorax

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m 47 and have just been discharged from a 12 day stay in hospital with a collapsed lung. I’m generally fit and well and a non smoker, still no answers as to why this happened! Any advice for this recovery period from people who have been through it and what I can expect going forwards? I’m the opposite of a tall thin young male by the way haha! Mel

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Expect resistance shortness of breath doing menial tasks walking moving around a lot lifting items ECT. Just don't push urself too quickly.

• Posted

Its Latin name translates as spontaneous. To date even with the technology we have no one actually knows why. They know how it happens but not why. It takes 6-12 weeks recovery but 12 days in hospital is a long time normally it's between 48-72 hours. Without all information on yourself I'd say closer to the 12 weeks. Work wise 3 weeks of then gradual return to work over a 6 week period. You know your body better than any doctors so your over qualified to say lol. You must take your time do not run before you can crawl or you'll cause more damage. 99% of all cases go onto never having it occur again. Then there's me who's has three world records on lung collapses lmfao. Sheet happens is how I live my life now I do not let it effect my life or what I chose to do. I've died more times than two cats have lives. Last chest drain I put in myself as none were qualified and surgeons were 2 hours away lmfao.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.