Recovering From Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

Surgery 4 weeks ago. Incision healing well. Basic surgery seems to be progressing well. BUT, ... I have all the classic symptoms of radial nerve damage. Numbness near thumb/ can't straighten fingers or wrist/ numbness at outside of upper arm.    Anyone else experience this?  I'm concerned that my physio will be severely hindered by appropriate muscles not getting the right signals. To clarify, ... range of motion is not painful ... it's just not possible.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry, to read about your accident. I am scheduled to have a reverse shoulder replacement in June, after a failed massive rotator cuff operation. Switched doctor and have done a great deal of homwork.  
    • Posted

How did your surgery go? I am scheduled for same surgery in 4 days ,  very nervous would like to hear about your results
    • Posted

It’s working! You must have the right doctor and good idea to also have a lassitimus dorsi transfer! It’s been 6 months and I have great range, no pain! 

Almost lifting way above my head! Improving every day! 

I highly recommend Jon Warner Mgh 

Boston 

• Posted

Hello, I had a left reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in February of 2016 and the right reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in July of 2016. After months of therapy and continuous numbness in both arms and hands a nerve conduction test showed severe nerve damage to both sides. Last week, February 21, 2017 carpal tunnel surgery was completed on the left hand and one is scheduled in march for the right hand. Too early to tell if there is any relief yet... The RTSA were completed after several failed rotator cuff repairs to both sides.
  • Posted

I had my shoulder done over a year ago, and my hand and arm is still numb, and my shoulder hurts all the time, I ask my surgeon and he tells me just give it time, if I know it was going to be like this I would never had it done,,, bu my shoulder was bone on bone, and now the other one is bad too, I am at such a lose, I just don't understand y no one can help.... 

• Posted

Hmmm, don't know where you are, but I'd say if you can arrange for a second opinion, go for it. Otherwise try some kind of a supportive shoulder harness. Good luck to you man.

• Posted

thank you doe your info.Im 6 weeks post op rt shoulder reverse repalcement, 57 y.o male. My thumb ,index and middle finger are still numb somewhat. does this get better? no shoulder pain just pins an dneedkes pain in fingers  and swelling. any insight would help me.
  • Posted

I have now had both shoulders replaced with the reverse artroplasty, Medial and radial nerve surgery, and have a corrective surgery scheduled for a loose screw. Still experiencing numbness in hands and, what I would consider, severe weakness. The "bionic man" idea certainly didn't happen in this case. I had both shoulders replaced within 6 months of each other, now 1 year post surgery.

• Posted

Pain and aggravated AC joint with movement. Follow up ex ray shown a gap around one of the screws. 
    • Posted

Bobby sorry to hear about this , I was just wondering how old are you? 
    • Posted

I am 60 and will need my other shoulder done also,So I am in the same boat as you.I would like to talk with you further about this situation.I will try a private message ok
    • Posted

It’s been 10 weeks post op, everything going great my range of motion is now 145 with no pain. Arm pit still sore and I cannot reach behind my back yet.I was wondering if you are back to work and what kinda work do you do? I am hoping to return to work,I am a telephone repair man.I hope that I can handle that heavy of a job with this RTSA
  • Posted

I had reverse shoulder replacement 5 wks ago. My shoulder is doing well. Still have some swelling in hand and armpit (?). My problem is severe hand pain and carpal tunnel symptoms. I am trying to get off pain killers. It gets so awful I want to scream. My hand is numb and close to useless. My surgeon is sending me to a neurologist. If they ever call me back. I am desperately trying to find out if there is any hope. You folks have more answers than the medical people do. 
    • Posted

Yes, I still has swelling and pain in 5weeks, I also had laser therapy and on going acupuncture treatments, I’m also a Reiki master and would apply this everyday. 

I’ve not had numbness, except that I’m starting to get neuropathy due to diabetes

Prayers for a speedy recovery! 

• Posted

I wish you the best! Sounds like you are trying good things. I just got an appointment to the recommended neurologist. February 6th. Will update as soon as I have some news. 
    • Posted

Well it’s been about 6 weeks since RTSA all is going well no pain.PT is going slow but is about to step up soon.Surgery was rough I had a nerve block that froze my lung
    • Posted

I am 10 weeks out and all is good I have 145 ROM, working hard at PT. I want to return to work.I work as a telephone repairman.My doctor says it’s possible,I return to him in 6 weeks, Does anybody have any thoughts on returning to a job that put you in this situation especially having a RTSA and needing a TSA on my left?
    • Posted

Hi Joan,

You said, "My hand is numb and close to useless."

If it is numb mostly in the area of the thumb and fore-finger, that is classic radial nerve damage. That may take a long time to recover. Mine did. Meanwhile, make sure that you force your fingers through full range of motion (ROM). If you let your muscles tighten up you will lose that ROM. Also, squeeze a soft rubber ball (or a spring-loaded flexer) ... even if it doesn't move (due to nerve damage), keep doing it. Look at your hand and will it/ imagine it/ force your mind to move it. This stimulates the nerve and helps the repair process. I think. Too hard to explain in detail. Ask others. 

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I’ve been using the hand as much as possible. I had an EMG. Pure torture by electric shock! It showed the damage comes from either the nerve block or having to pull the arm down to fix it. I was put on huge prednisone. Done now. About 50% improvement. Still hard to function with it and some pain left. Not near as much. Neurologist said it will heal. Like you said. I will be squeezing that ball and thinking the thoughts. Thank you for the hope. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.