Recovering From Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

Surgery 4 weeks ago. Incision healing well. Basic surgery seems to be progressing well. BUT, ... I have all the classic symptoms of radial nerve damage. Numbness near thumb/ can't straighten fingers or wrist/ numbness at outside of upper arm.    Anyone else experience this?  I'm concerned that my physio will be severely hindered by appropriate muscles not getting the right signals. To clarify, ... range of motion is not painful ... it's just not possible.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Obvious question, I know, but have you spoken with your surgeon about it?
    • Posted

Oh yeah. He says, "Just keep working it. I'm sure it will get better in time."
  • Posted

I had some nerve numbness after my replacement. My fingers and forearm were numb for about 6-8 weeks. Surgeon told me that it was the result of how the retractor had pressed on a nerve during the op. It did go away but took a while. I know that nerves usually take anywhere from 6 weeks to a couple of months to recover. Hope you have a good recovery....eventually.

• Posted

Well, that's encouraging. I suppose. :-)  The numbness I can live with.  Its just that the "paralysed" muscles don't allow for smooth physio range of motion.
    • Posted

Please keep posting, what age are you? Where did you

have surgery? The reverse shoulder recovery will be very

different from normal shoulder replacement, as the deltoid muscle

replaces the rotator cuff, so we have been told. We saw someone

at our hospital who had the operation 5weeks ago and he could

lift his arm above his head without pain. But the don't promise that,

just no pain and to lift your arm to shoulder height. Re your pain

after hip replacement it takes many months for full integration.

Cathie

• Posted

I'm 70. Surgery done at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto. Still get swelling  in arm and hand. Mostly pain free. Physio exercises are hindered by damaged (hopefully just bruised) radial nerve. That 5-week guy is lucky .... ahead of the curve.
    • Posted

We are in Portugal, the shoulder consultant is coming from Lisbon

to the Algarve. Did you have a local anaesthetic?

I have had both hips replaced and found the forums to be helpful.

I am disappointed that there are not more reverse shoulder prosthesis

patients to learn from. Were you in a lot of pain before. My husband is.

he has had to have a lot of tests because he had bacterial pneumonia

at Christmas, ...he feels that this damaged his rotator cuff muscles.

He is bone on bone on his shoulder joint. When at the hospital

I wish we'd spoken to the 5 week recoveree, but he was in front of us,

aged 74, overweight, and it was the consultant who told us about his

progress.

cathie

• Posted

I did not have arthritis. My problem was a dislocation and fracture due to an ATV accident. The crown of the humerus bone broke off and lodged in my arm pit. That is probably the reason for the radial nerve damage. If no nerve damage I'd be well into my physio. Best case scenario is that light physio begins at 2 weeks. Here's a good reference. The last 2 pages outline the physio protocol .... if you can understand the jargon.

http://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2007.2562

I had a nerve block in the neck plus a light general anasthetic. Just going with a heavy general they say has much worse side affects. (groggy; nausea, etc.)

• Posted

You sound like your surgery was complicated, and accident

related, which makes comparisons difficult.

How long was your operation? They haven't given my husband

any choice re general anaesthetic, but I had a worse reaction

to a local than a general when I had hip replacements?

Were/are you on blood thinners?

Cathie

• Posted

I need a simpler version, the last two pages had me beaten...

?visualise the elbow? .. I supposed the supine position is doing

the exercises in a recliner, which you gradually raise to sitting..

I am going to look for diagrams. What is worrying me is that a 

physio knows the difference between shoulder replacement

revision, and reverse shoulder replacement. We are in Portugal

and this is when language can cause problems!

Cathie

• Posted

No, no blood thinners. Operation was 2 hours. And yes, I wrecked a perfectly good shoulder in one careless moment while driving a 4-wheel ATV. Started physio today. I learned that there are different philosophies on when to start physio. Some start immediately.
    • Posted

That protocol is general and contains a lot of medical jargon. Don't worry. They will customise a physio plan for the individual.
    • Posted

Tried to post yesterday. I hope your physio went well.

my husband's op is Thursday. I plan to post the forum after, 

there is so little information re reverse shoulder prosthesis

op. on the site

Cathie

• Posted

All best wishes to you and your hubby. Hope the surgery goes well. If you start a new "thread" post a link to it here.

• Posted

i had sugery 7 weeks ago. bicep not working, tricep not working, numbness in hand and arm. Neurologist says it will recover ?! I am 58, did not expect to lose total use of my right arm. Should have lived with the pain i guess.
    • Posted

Don't be too discouraged yet. See if you can arrange for a nerve test. They can pin-point which nerves are working and which ones are not working. That can explain why muscles are not working. Then follow up with another nerve test in 4-to-6 weeks. If there is improvement, the test will tell you. I had nil use of my tricep and my deltoid for 3 months. But they came back. Be sure to do your therapy. And keep trying, even though you can't. Simply trying, helps to repair the nerves. Stay positive. TR

• Posted

Hi monica

i am considering seeing dr Warner for shoulder replacement what was your experience

• Posted

I highly recommend him! 

I’m currently swimming and lifting my arm overhead! 

Here is my email

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.