Recovering g from pilon fracture,,wbat now.will pain subside as therapy progresses? ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a fall and fractured my tibia and fibula..a pilon fracture,I was no wgt bearing g for 12 weeks..therapy involved ROM,strengthening,stretching ..and on crutches . I am now no crutches no boot ,using a cane...and weight bearing as tolerated..I was wondering g does the achy pain and swelling and stiffness get better as I continue therapy.therapy involves more now..wgt bearing Exercises, and stretching ,and walking of course as tolerated..how can I do therapy at home if I'm in pain. .I want to do it believe me..I need to get back to normal..I try my best but it does hurt...is this normal and should I just push through and try my best as tolerated?will it get better?? thanks for and advice!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It does get better. It also takes a lot more time. I am in phys therapy and am doing the exercises every day. When I went to therapy I was sore and they asked why I told them I was doing my exercises every day. they looked at me like I was crazy and said why are you doing that. they told me don't push it just do it when I felt like I could. I thought just the opposite that I was supposed to do it every day. I still walk with a limp but I feel like I'm getting better but it doesn't seem to be enough

• Posted

for them. I am getting to the point where I am just going to do what I feel like I can and do the best I can. every time I turn around somebody is telling everytime I turn around somebody is telling me something different.

• Posted

Thank you. .I agree I'm gonna do what I can ,when I can..I'm not trying get to be in pain where I can't do anything..I need to recover and get back to work!..first and foremost I need to be able to walk again pain free..

• Posted

It will get better

I have good days and not so good!

Just came back from PT and feel pretty good

• Posted

thanks sandra917...I totally relate to the mixed signals..I'm told do you think exercises at home,but you know your body and do what you can..I'm just so worried..Its just a week and a half that I'm wgt bearing as tolerated .so..I'm hoping it gets better. ..I need to get back to normal..and get working ..

• Posted

thanks. .only been like a week that I'm up doing some walking ..and wgt bearing..so...I'm hoping it does..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.