Recovery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

has anybody received a planned medical recovery schedule? Things suggested that you might be able to do in week 3,4,5 post surgery.

i was told to do nothing but rest and gentle exercise- walk- for first two weeks. Which I've done now moving forward to week 3 I was wondering if that information is available, not found anything on line, but found you all. Greatfull for any info x

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

I am 2 weeks post op and did not receive any planned medical recovery schedule but wish I had.  I was lucky enough to have a straightforward vaginal hysterectomy which went well and I had no pain, discomfort or tiredness when I left hospital.  I also had almost no bleeding.  The only advice I had was about not lifting and taking it easy.  I was told I would know when I was overdoing it.  However, I felt so well in the first week that I basically thought I could return to normal provided I avoided lifting, which I have done.  However, within the last few days I have obviously overdone things as I have had considerably bleeding.  I spent yesterday in bed and this morning and fortunately the bleeding has stopped but I do wish I had been given a much more detailed list of things to avoid - even slight bending, stretching, twisting seems to be a complete no-no. 

It seems such an obvious thing to give patients a detailed recovery schedule to follow in order to avoid undoing the good work done by the surgeon!!

If you find anything, please let us know where to get it!

Thanks and good luck with your recovery.

Sharon x

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Mine was total everything gone and I too had a really good recovery up to date.

As said I was told to do nothing rest and gently walk about the house, which up to now I've done had no real bleeding just occasional pinkness after wiping after peeing which I hope is good. A Registra did mention bleeding could start later when I asked if I didn't have any bleeding would I get any.

I started taking a short walk last week and have built it up to the local shops about 5 mins away.

For my 3rd week live close to the underground so I'm taking a walk to the station sitting on station for train sitting on train to shops and going for a coffee in m&s then return. Will start to make a coffee.

It's hard to work out what's best to do as by week 6 you could be back at work but full recovery will take up to 6 months!

Hope your recovery is back on track take it easy, got a reply with a guide from 2raggydoll if I can attach it I'll send it it has a few good points but I'm wary about house cleaning in the first 6 weeks and certainly not hoovering not poss until 6 months. But if I get anything else I'll send it on

Lesley

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it is posted further down this discussion.

• Posted

Hi Lesley

Thanks for your reply.  I'm pleased to report that after a day and a half in bed my bleeding has stopped.  Just like you a bit pinkish when I pee which is basically what is was like during the first week after I left hospital.  I know now having read the  detailed recovery plan that I was bending/crouching too much.  I was so focussed on not lifting, but not avoiding other things.  And because I had no pain I was completely unaware that I was doing wrong.

Anyway today I have walked 10 mins into town with my partner and back again.  Weather is lovely here and I feel refreshed but I will make that the only exercise I take today and chill out for the rest of the afternoon.  I don't feel too guilty re housework as I am staying with my partner in his house so I'm leaving all to him.  He's been brilliant and spoiling me rotten, so I'm just making the most of it!

Good luck with your recovery - sounds like you are making good progress.

Best wishes

Sharon

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Good to hear your on the mend again, yep take it easy, God bless our good fellas, We'er lucky to have them.

A friend of mine says she couldn't stand it not being able to do her housework, I understand what she says but unless you've got chest problems or allergies I think what's not done today will still be there tomorrow, for the want of several weeks to ensure a good permanent recovery is it worth doing yourself damage? Once you've got the all clear you can scrub, springs clean to hearts content

Lesley x

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I read a recovery guide on another hysterectomy forum, I will see if I can find it and post it for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for link found it interesting, thought it was for someone who had had a zip job!

I must admit was told to rest but not lying down, unless needed to. As there was a history of a clot post op (my mum) I was up and walking frequently around the house.

But as far as I'm aware pushing the vacuum cleaner is one of the last things to do and that poss beyond 6 weeks.

But the making tea was very helpful as a guide.

Thanks for the info

• Posted

Hi both would you mind sending me the link please.  I am day 11 and struggling xxx
    • Posted

Sorry both didn't see the link underneath.
  • Posted

Got it

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/a5692c6457e86f0e2182630fa/files/sbs_recovery.pdf?utm_source=Free+Hysterectomy+Booklet&utm_campaign=30c61c525a-Booklet-14&utm_medium=email

• Posted

Hi Raggydoll

Many thanks for this recovery plan - it's so straighforward.  Why oh why is this not standard issue by hospitals when they discharge hysterectomy patients.  If I had been given this I would not have done half the things I was doing in the first week!!

xx

• Posted

Don't take it as gospel use it with logic, as I have a bit of a guide, I'm not sure about doing any housework in first 6 weeks, to my way of thinking it will still be there in 6 weeks so don't push anything until the later weeks or wait till after, but the peeling of veg and cups of tea and some light walking good stuff.

Lesley

• Posted

Hi Lesley.  I ve been for my pre op today, surgery next week, and was given a recovery plan for the first three days.  Maybe I ll get an extended one on discharge.  I ll let you know.   Claire
    • Posted

Claire

Hope it all goes well for you, I was very fortunate no pain, just tender bits.

Look forward to it if you get a longer plan, thanks for answering

Lesley x

• Posted

I must admit I have not been doing much sitting about or laying on the bed, I'm worried about getting blood clots. The only time I did that was for the first 2 days out of hospital. I'm on day 13 now and Ive been going out for daily walks with my dog from day 5, done some light house work and even walked around the shops at the weekend...I was only out for about an hour, but luckily it didn't do me any harm. I am being careful not to lift or carry anything heavy and I'm not touching the hoover for another 3 weeks or so (even though its doing my head in not being able to do it!)
    • Posted

You sound like a go getter, please don't be tempted with the Hoover til you have your 6 week check and ask them when you can. I know that's one of the last things you can do along with the heavy lifting which is not till 6 months.

When you say take the dog out is that with someone else or just you and the dog? Be careful you'd be surprised how much strain you could be putting on your tum area.

I was walking about the house every hour once I got home to keep moving as a preventing measure agains DVT.

As a thought 30-40 years ago hysterectomy stay in hospital was 2 weeks and you did nothing but walk about. Nowadays hospital stays are brief because of cost and limiting your chance of getting a bug. But recovery is still similar.

So really taking it easy and gentle are important for the first weeks.

They allow people back to work after 6 weeks if you have a light job but if you have a job where lifting carework involved it's 12 weeks, that's me.

I like structure, even if I don't like it when I get it but I do know if you rush the early weeks it could delay your full recovery, so try to take it easy, temper your urges to do it all and get back to"normal" and although it may seem an age now looking back in 6 months in full health will be worth it xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.