Recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 61 and I commend all u that are in your 70' S and up that have gone through this it's hard for me at 61 but you guys are real Troopers to get through these replacements kudos to you guys!! U R AWESOME

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I'm 71 and am about to have my second tkr(March 12), had my first one last August...sometimes we have no choice, it's either continue with the pain or be a 'trooper' and go for the inevitable.  You are so sweet to say such nice things, thank you from all of us. I'm still quite nervous to have another one, not looking forward to months of recovery, but know a year from now things will be good.  This forum has been a blessing because of people like you, who care and listen.  

Blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Hi Diane, I had a total knee replacement on the 30th October last year, three days after my eightieth birthday. I have a couple of friends of roughly the same age who just sailed through their knee replacements, who were almost recovered after six weeks.  I thought I would  be the same.  How naïve I was!  The first time ?I stood up after the operation it was like standing on a bunch of daggers.  I believed that I could look after myself after spending five days in the hospital, but in no way was this possible.  My son came round sometimes three times a day to help.  Without him I could not have coped.  You need someone to be with you the first time you shower.  Someone to cook for you, to serve you a meal.  And the nights were awful, trying to get comfortable.  I couldn't even bear a sheet over my knee.  The whole experience, for me, has been quite a journey.

?However, I am three and a half months down the line, and enjoying going into town shopping, meeting up with friends for a meal, managing to stride out and walk for half an hour.  After this my leg gets a little tired.  So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

?I've found that I have two or three days when I feel good, then perhaps a day when I don't feel so good, but how I feel now is wonderful to how I felt just after the operation.  So stick with it girl you'll get there.  If I can do it at  eighty you can at sixty one!

?Best wishes to you, and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Beryl,

I guess Diane would call you a 'super trooper'!  Sounds like you did an amazing job recuperating from your surgery...kudos to your son for helping you out.  You're right, there is light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes it seems a bit dim, but the longer you are in to this journey the brighter that light gets.  I'm having my 2nd tkr in 2 weeks, had the first one 6 months ago.  Luckily I am prepared for this one, have my room all set up, froze some meals and have a great hubby and family to help me out.

Two out of three days is certainly better than what you had before and soon it will be 3 out of 3 super days!  You're only 3 months into your journey, best is yet to come.

Many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Hi Cherry, thank you for your kind words.  Onwards and upwards!  My love and support to you on your journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.