Recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a ankle break, Dec 23,. Now I want to know does anyone know a time line about when I should be walking again?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

did you have surgery??  wow thats about 10 weeks right>>>  last time it took me 12 weeks to take my boot off..

• Posted

I had trimal fracture on Dec 30 and ORIF on 1/3. Hard cast first 6 weeks, in boot now for 2.5 weeks. I'm able to walk slowly while in boot, no crutches for close quarters like kitchen and bathroom, I use one crutch for more than that. I'm not able to walk out of the boot yet. I can stand, but that's with maybe 50% weight on broken side. When I got boot on, dr said I should be able to drive in a month. I doubt I'll make that timeline given I can't walk without the boot at this point. Everyone heals different. Are you in PT? They may be able to give you better guidance about a timeline. Good luck!

• Posted

No not yet.... see my dr in 2 weeks,,,, hopefully Ill get the boot off... take care of your foot...
  • Posted

Depends how bad the fracture was. They say bone heals in 6-8 wks but then you have to work on muscles, ligaments and tendons. I broke ankle 31 Dec. Now have no cast or boot. Can walk in house no crutches...uneven gait and slow. Outside still need crutches. Have exercise s from physio.

• Posted

E,

Sorry, but it would be a shot in the dark to estimate your recovery timeline. You provided the barest of detail about your situation.

Bear in mind that all ankle injuries (and recoveries) are unique. True, there is probably an 'average' timeline, but then, no person is the statistical average.

You will get an idea of the wide range of recovery progressions by reading the stories on forum. You may be surprised at the variety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.