Recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, just seeking some advice.

I’m 1 week into recovery following a wall down surgery: currently my ear is weeping quite a bit, like bloody watery discharge and is still swollen & stuck out. It’s tight and numb to the touch, causing a lot of discomfort when laughing/moving. The tightness is at the top (there was a tear in the back due to weakness from a previous surgery during the op) ... but the tip of my ear feels hot and is throbbing.  I also have been experiencing sharp pains toward the base of my skull (back of head on the left side) and to top it all off my jaw is weak so still on soft foods only! ???????

I’m due to have the packing removed in 2 weeks time and seem to be managing the pain relatively well but am starting to worry that I’m showing signs of an infection. Does all of this seem relatively normal or should I make an appointment with my GP? Just concerned that there’s another 2 weeks to go before anyone takes a look at it! Also, am due at work next week, little anxious- how was everyone else around the 2 week mark? 

Many thanks in advance 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Naomi,

I had a canal wall up procedure done several years ago but I remember recovery like it was yesterday. I had a very similar experience with discharging ear and extreme pain inside and around the canal post-surgery.

Unfortunately, the pain is normal (or so I was told). Thankfully, my ear was not infected and pain died down a lot once the packing was removed. I did go to my GP before seeing my ENT because, like you, I was out of my mind with anxiety about infection and pain. But my GP had no idea what to do, they just gave me anti-biotics and painkillers and told me to wait to see the ENT.

If I was in your situation, I would wait to see my ENT at the time he organised and just try to relax as much as possible in the interim. I know your original post is from 16 days ago so I hope all is well with you and your packing was removed without any issue.

Regards, Shane

• Posted

I am 10 days post op and experiencing the ame symptoms as you.  My doctor removed the packing two days ago and it still feels like it is in there - a lot of pressure and fullness.  The entire lest side of my head feels numb - what is most difficult is that I have zero hearing in my ear.  My doctor said I will have surgery in one year to help me regain some hearing but it is so odd that I could hear before the surgery and now nothing.  Is this typical?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.