Recovery advice for fractured fibula and tibia?

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi there! i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my recovery and your expirience.

a few weeks ago i fractured my fibula and tibia and tore all my ligaments. A week and a half ago i had surgery to fix it. i am now in a hard cast and the doctor said i will probably be in one for the next two months. has this happened to anyone else? if so, were you able to get your cast off early and after the cast was off, were you walking right away? any other advice would be great! thank you so much.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your muscles atrophy while they are immobilized in the cast due to lack of use. Your joints lose range of motion and become stiff for the same reason. It is not practically to expect to be tap dancing and skateboarding immediately upon removing your casts. You will need to slowly build strength, coordination, and stamina, and this takes time. You will also want to avoid any further injury during your recovery or aggravating injuries you might already have. Talk to you doctor and PT about setting realistic goals and working toward them. Recovery time is dependent upon how much load the the fractured bones can withstand and for how long. Mobility is dependent upon the pain level, strengthening and conditioning of damaged or atrophied soft tissue. Recovery is different for different people with different injuries. Even the same injuries don't heal the same necessarily. This is why your best source of useful information will come from you treatment team of doctor, PA, NP, case manager, and physical therapist, and not strangers on the internet. Ask the people that are familiar with your case. Every office visit I make, I take a list of printed questions and concerns that I need answers to. Good luck and don't rush things once you get mobile again.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your ankle Courtney

I broke mine in 3 places on 7/5, surgery on 7/11

I was in a cast for 4 weeks

Stitches were removed and I was placed in boot and had to use crutches

I could put 25% body weight at that time

At 7 weeks I could put full body weight on the ankle and I began PT

By mid September I was able to walk in boot with no crutches and eventually began wearing sneakers

Its a long road back

It can also be a very isolating injury first few weeks because you are so dependent on assistance from others

Take your time

I will be having long screw removed going through back of my ankle mid-January

Most days I can accomplish my daily routine with no pain or discomfort

I still get some numbness now and then

All my best

• Posted

Im only having long screw that goes through back of my ankle that was used to stabilize the ankle after the break

Its being removed to improve ROM

From what my ortho days its almost immediate difference in ROM

• Posted

Hiya, I fractured my ankle and tore up my ligaments etc on 11/05 and had surgery on the 29/05 this year. was in a cast for 6 weeks then non weight bearing in a boot for 2 weeks. After which they told me to start walking in my boot and progress to shoes over a four week period .Tbh I thought they where mad expecting me to be able to make that kind of progress as my ankle and muscles where extremely stiff but they where right. I was mostly out of my boot two weeks later and in shoes full time two weeks after that. It's been six months for me and altho I still have pain and stiffness if I rest my ankle for even a small amount of time as soon as I start moving it loosens up quick and I am getting quicker at walking...even if it's with a limp. Progress can seem painfully slow at times and it can be disheartening but you will start to see improvements as time goes on. x

• Posted

ps. I had two plates and nine screws in my surgery, who knew kerbs could be so dangerous lol

• Posted

hi courtney! i did not fracture my tibia, but i did fracture my fibula and tear a majority of my ligaments. i did this on oct 23 last year and had surgery on oct 31. i broke it during a cheerleading accident and it was supposed to end my cheer year. i was in a hard cast for two weeks. i was then in an air cast boot (was told no weight bearing for 6 weeks). i started doing research because i needed to heal faster, found a great study on ORIF surgery and weight bearing by the University of MN on the success level of early weight bearing (starting 2 weeks post op as tolerated). by early to mid december i was out of the boot and by the beginning of january i was competing at the collegiate national level in cheerleading! it's all about knowing your boundaries and your body. i remained very healthy during my healing (100 oz of water a day, healthy meals, vitamin b-calcium vitamins, no drinking alcohol, staying active but also keeping my foot elevated when able, and most importantly- A POSITIVE ATTITUDE!) Good luck with your healing!

• Posted

I had surgery on November 19, 2019 for trimalleolar fx. I fell and broke both ankles, with dislocations. The surgery was only on the left because it was more extensive damage. After two weeks, they removed the 3/4 cast and stitches and I have been in a boot with no weight bearing. The other leg remains in a cast and will be removed at my next appointment which will put my timeline at 4 weeks post injury. At that time I am supposed to be in a boot on both legs. The amount of healing will determine if I can bear weight on either one of my legs. The surgeries for injuries vary, so it's hard to say exactly what your own timeline will be. I found a group that has all sorts of people that give their experience and answer questions from similar injuries. Maybe you can find one as well. Good luck, this sux!!!

• Posted

I had my fiberglass cast removed a week early because it was too loose. I say just keep an eye on your leg and the cast. If you notice that you can wiggle it around or put your whole hand down alongside your leg you will need to get a new cast or they might put you in a aircast boot. Just keep an eye on it.

I am almost 11 weeks post op from a fibula and tibia fracture and ankle dislocation. I am only 34 years of age and it was the worst "fall off a curb" break that my orthopedic surgeon had seen in years. I have balance issues. I started physiotherapy 5 weeks ago and began to slowly weight bear. I started with my aircast boot and 2 crutches, then boot and 1 crutch, then boot and cane, then just boot. I am walking with a limp and no aids. I occasionally use a cane if it is snowy and icy out or my ankle is super stiff but mostly I just walk slowly around now. I am not a patient person when it comes to being mobile so I can understand the frustration. The one thing I can suggest is to keep up your routine as normal as you possibly can. Being in a cast and non weight-bearing for a month or 2 can be so isolating so make sure you get out and see people.

I know it seems impossible right now. Have faith that you will walk again and that this "life with a cast" is temporary. I honestly thought it would never end and I'd never be back wearing both of my shoes. Take care and lean in here if you need to!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.