Recovery after big toe fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

On 31st January I had big toe fusion performed on my left foot, together with Weil osteotomies on my second and third toes.  This was because I had a severe bunion (36 degrees) and a hammer toe, so the surgery was quite extensive, taking over three hours.

My right foot has already been corrected, but the problems were rather less serious and I 'only' needed a Scarf & Akin on the big toe and a Weil osteotomy on the hammer toe.  No fusion was involved. This was back in March 2016, and I recovered really quickly as these things go, so was able to drive at 4 weeks post-op and was more or less back to normal at 3/4 months.

My doctor has already warned me that recovery this time around will be slower.  What does this mean in practice? I would be grateful to hear from any one who has had experience of this procedure.  I am not in a cast, my foot is just bandaged and I can already walk in a Podalux shoe with a crutch - although at the moment I am, of course , icing and elevating almost all the time! And can any one tell me if, in their experience, the long-term result of fusion really so different from non-fusion.

Thank you!

1 like, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

As many on this site have noted, it really is amazing how varied the medical advice is that we all receive. What did he say about the painkillers?  I'm still using them occasionally even at 5+ weeks  post-op, can't see myself abandoning them for some time yet.

• Posted

He was happy for me to continue with the naproxen and I haven't needed the codeine at all now. I never really appreciated just how many different types of bunion surgery there actually was and the technique and procedures seems to constantly change as new ideas develop. When my mum had her bunion operation 30 years ago you always had a cast on now they all use some kind of post op shoe or boot don't they!

• Posted

I think you both have appointments with Xrays this week, so wishing you the best, hope all is where it should be.
    • Posted

Yes I had my x ray last Wednesday when I had the bandage changed. I have to come back this Thursday to have the stitches removed. I assume he will look at my x ray then. I am curious about the fusion wire in the second toe, the toe is totally out of line with the others, surgeon says when the wire comes out the toe will spring back into the correct place! I'm going to have to trust him on that one smile I'm also curious now my toes are spaced correctly whether my shoe size will change. Ha ha all these funny thoughts !!

• Posted

Yes..... I've my first checkoup tomorrow, 14/3.... fingers crossed.

I'm hoping to have an x-ray done, I did with my surgery back in 2016 at both of my check ups......really eases thd mind to know that the bits yoh can't see with the eye are doing well.

I can't wait to get this dressing  off and see if things are going as expected.

Over the last few days my foot feels tight and a bit stingy on the top, not the normal twangs and twinges of nerve repairing. I'm wondering if it could be where any blood from the operation has dried into the dressing and is pulling away from the foot as the swelling eases.

• Posted

Good luck for your appointment x I totally agree about the bandage situation! I thought that feeling was due to my stitches now they itch like crazy! I'm hoping Thursday once the stitches are out the bandages will be replaced by a lesser bulky dressing. Done up like a turkey I can't see if there is any swelling. Nice to be able to speak with you two smile

• Posted

Actually your thoughts are not all that far off!  After the op on my right foot two years ago it became a size 38 (UK 5), whereas my unoperated foot  stayed a 37.  Not a vast difference for sure, but it has made buying things like sandals quite problematic and was one of the factors that finally decided me that I had to get the second foot done.  I think have two equally sized feet now - not absolutely sure as I'm still partially strapped up and my inelegant rigid-soled Puma trainers are a roomy size 40 to make sure that my toes are not at all compressed and to accommodate the padding!

• Posted

It could also be the stitches drying out...... big toe feels like it's been battered, which of course it has. I'm hoping to have a tubigrip type dressing put on so that I can air my foot when its elevated...  the thought of airing my foot, bliss.

Regrading shoe sizes my right foot, previously straightened out, is/was bigger than my left, gave me problems with the new leather shoes that I bought a few months after the operation as the left one slipped, literally took the skin off my heel.

Hence I put them back in the box and will try again in a few months time....if my feet match... 

• Posted

I've just received a message to say the surgeon has cancelled my appointment due to an emergancy elsewhere and will reschedule.😢 

Would have been lovely to at least go and have the dressing changed for a clean fresh one... 

• Posted

Im sorry to hear that, so disappointing shame a nurse or someone else couldn't have done it instead.

I hope you don't have to wait too long. X

• Posted

I know the feeling!  I was supposed to have my 6 week check-up this Friday but it has been put back a week to the 23rd.  Really annoyed as I was scheduled to have x-rays taken to check that the bones have fused now.  It's so anti-climatic, isn't it?  You really have had no luck  with these appointments!

• Posted

Thank you....

I do hope the final out come is better......

• Posted

Well I had all the stitches out yesterday and was a bit shocked to be honest! The surgeon removed all the bandages and said I don't need anymore. I was a bit put off by the amount of dead skin! I had no swelling and the stitches came out fine but my god this purple looking scabby foot surely isn't mine!!! Ha ha its like sunburn peel its coming off in sheets! (sorry I hope your not eating) I don't know why but I never thought about this. Hope you two are still OK x

• Posted

Congratulations!  First, on being the only one of the three of us who actually managed to see a doctor this week, second, for making such progress!  I'm still strapped up (not exactly bandaged but still curiously wrapped).  How did the x-rays look?  Don't worry about the dead skin - a good bath helps enormously, if you're allowed one yet!  Can't see why not if all the cuts have healed up well.

• Posted

Good to hear that your foit is now bandage free.....

All perfectly normal to have a purple looking foot with skin looking no better, it'll soon start to settle down.

Did you have an x-ray?

I had a tubigrip dressing put over my foot last time and it suited perfect as I could cover the foot when I needed to put my surgical shoe on and fold it back to air the foot when resting.

I had a call from my surgeons office and as I've had stitches and metalwork I need to be seen so I have an appointment for a check up this afternoon.. same surgeon, different hospital but not to far away.

Not sure if it'll just be a dressing removal/change or an x-ray as well.....hope so byt as long as I get seen I don't mind.

• Posted

Thanks, I'm hoping you will both be seen soon x no bath or shower I'm afraid for another 4 weeks. Surgeon was very forceful about not getting the wire wet! I said I'd leave my foot out of the bath he smiled at me and said no even the steam from the bath could cause a droplet of water to seep in. Sort have got used to using wet wipes and strip washing now!!

• Posted

Great news so glad you have an appointment! Xray was fine it seems. So its all about moisturiser for me now it seems x
    • Posted

Have you thought about a waterproof leg dressing protector?  No good for baths, but perfect for showering.  I used one for four weeks.  Worked a treat!
    • Posted

Ah....you have a pin..... I'd leave the bathing then don't want to knock it....

With the help of a thick bin liner and duct tape I had a shower on Wednesday...only problem was the standing for longer than I'm used to of late, that blood rush feeling, apart from that it was bliss.

• Posted

I'm basically a chicken and won't even risk a leg protector! I have been offered one by my friend smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.