Recovery after big toe fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had toe fusion 8 weeks ago and are due to see the consultant on Thursday. I am in constant pain in the joint area and along the bunion area ( I don’t have bunion but arthritis).  Is this normal he said after the op I would be surprised at the low level pain I would feel?

He is not the most personal of consultants and want to be prepared to ask questions on Thursday. Can’t anyone help!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi Yvonne.

I am from Sweden and we get the operations free of cost through our NHS. Some years ago I had an operation in my big toe due to Hallux Rigidus (stiff big toe). I have a plate with two screws on my big toe. NHS put in rocker soles (up to 3 pairs) on my shoes after having worn a treatment shoe for 6 weeks. I really don' t feel that the toe is stiff and have had no problems. You can also get MBT shoes. Good luck!

Ragnar

• Posted

Hello, am considering the surgery and see the surgeon tomorrow.    Guess everyone is nervous at the thought of losing big toe surgery!  Do you still need rocker soles or was that temporary?  I am 72 but feel no particular age except except for my feet!  I like to roll around with my young twin granddaughters, go for long walks, garden, do housework, anything really.  Fusion is because of bunion and pain under metatarsal heads not because of arthritis.  Can you tell me if the fusion had limited your life in any way and how do you squat down, kneel etc- because surely it involves bending big toe? 

Thanks for any help

x

• Posted

I do not think that I need the shoes with rocker soles but I use them as long as the shoes are not worn out. I have now Morton's neuroma in the same foot. I therefore use insoles with what we call pelotte- a small cushion and the new shoes without rocker soles are OK

• Posted

I forgot to say that I don't think about the stiffness and I don't think it bothers me. I am 81 so everything is different than for a younger person maybe.

• Posted

Well you are doing well at 81!  You could have an op for Morton’s neuroma but maybe don’t want to?  One last question, you may not do so much kneeling, squatting nowadays, but can you do so regardless of big toe?  It’s just that we semi squat to get into a kneeling position and that is when a big toe bends, likewise if you go down on one knee.  Sorry for all questions but it’s hard to find answers in the literature, much better to hear how ordinary people who consider themselves to have had a successful operationget on.

your English so brilliant!

thank you so much for answering my questions.

• Posted

I am not sure but I think the toe gives me no problem. I have Morton's neuroma on the same foot and that bothers me much more. I am in northrern Seden st a conference so it is not so essy to test my toe. We have just had the conference dinner and I have to get up early for an early flight. I tested once more but I guess the toe is a small problem.

As for my English - thank you. I was an exchange student in Minnesota in 1954-55 and do a lot of corresponding in English. The conference is i n English and as you understand I get a lot of practice.

Ragnar

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement.  I decided today when I saw the consultant to go ahead with surgery.  The problem will only get worse and I will only get older!  I am very impressed that you are working at 81, but am all for it; I actually consider it keeps life much  more normal.  

I feel sure that the Morton’s neuroma could be sorted.  I have had insoles for thirty years now for my foot problems but have run out of room literally and metaphorically!  My foot has got so wide and painful.  I wish I had seen a surgeon sooner but in Uk if your feet are not so painful that nothing else can be done, you don’t get surgery.  I have gone private because I wanted to choose my surgeon.  So very expensive! 

I personally would make sure that all is being done for the neuroma.  I have been partly driven on by the fact that my mum lived a full and healthy life till she was almost 100 and, at the moment my feet feel decades older than the rest of me.  Plus I like to be active and have never been one to sit around.  

I will post after surgery and I hope that you will see this.  Would also like to hear how you get on with the neuroma which is often not dissimilar to the pressure you get from metatarsalgia which I also have an should be sorted out with surgery.

its a pity this site does not allow private messaging.

i wish you all the best.

Hilary

• Edited

Hi Hilary,

You said "its a pity this site does not allow private messaging."

We do, click on the envelope next to the relevant user's name to send someone a PM.

• Posted

How did you get on with consultant today?  Hopefully he was pleased with your feet and said it’s just a matter of time?  I imagine you still have lots of swelling?  Maybe this article will cheer you up, as this lady had swelling etc for months but now does ballroom dancing.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1153545/I-big-toe-bones-fused--I-wear-stilettos-again.html#ixzz56GFWgZtg[/b]   

I decided today to go ahead with fusion which will be one foot at a time.  

Are you in UK?

please do post how things are developing .  It will help me and others.  I will post in Nov when surgery done

• Posted

Hi it was good and bad news. There are signs of fusion but yes foot still very swollen after 8 weeks so still not weight bearing. Still significant pain too.  Slower recovery rate than expected but I suffered a staph infection and have type 2 diabetes so they think it will have had an impact on recovery!

Bit low today but tomm is a new day!

• Posted

Well, I hope that the consultant was a bit more personable on Thursday and answered all your questions.  Swelling is a funny thing, it can go down quite unexpectedly.  Was he happy with the rate of fusion?  When is your next appointment?  I was told that appts were two weeks, 6-8 weeks and at six months.  That’s in Uk.  Where did you have your op?
  • Posted

Pain and numbness goes with the surgery.  You need to be patient.  I have had three rounds of toe fusion and mid foot fusion surgery.  It takes a long time for everything to get back to reasonable normal.  I suggest you find yourself a good foot physiotherapist, like I did, and they will give you stretching exercises (using a band) to strengthen your toe/s and foot.  I live in Melbourne, Australia and my foot physiotherapist was great and answered alot more questions than my surgeon did, which gave me peace of mind.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.