Recovery after laparotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a laparotomy to remove a 13cm "tumour" on my right hand ovary on 4.9.17 at RLH.

They biopsied a similar tumour on my left hand side but left it in position while they find out what it is. I have to go back to gynae at the end of the month to find out whats happening.

The surgery on the right hand tumour removed my ovary and fallopian tube also, they said the tumour had eaten it all. 

I was only in hospital for two nights. Incredibly sore and needed painkillers. 

I went back to work on day 7, and had my staples removed in A and E on day 8. I needed some antibiotics when they removed the staples. 

Working was a nightmare last week (if you dont have to do it, dont!!) but I'm now almost pain free. 

Giving myself daily salt baths to help keep the wound clean and ease any discomfort. 

Resumed normal sexual activity on day 10, though I feel a little dry. 

My moods are up and down at times and had my first "hot sweat" in the hospital following the surgery, soaked the bed through! When I draw my muscles in, I can still feel where the tumour used to be, though the area is soft now rather than a hard lump that used to stop me being able to pee. I still feel pain from the tumour that remains, it is rubbing on my left hip bone and my back still aches in the "tail" section.

Feel free to add your experiences too, ladies.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had a laparotomy to remove a large dermoid cyst (12cm) and my left ovary and fallopian tube 4 days after your surgery, on 8/9/2017. I was also in the hospital for 2 nights, and was discharged the third day. The first 5 days I would say were the worst, very painful getting in and out of bed. By day 7 the pain subsides and there is no way I'd go back to work by day 7. Is there any reason why you go back to work so soon? The hospital should have given you a letter to let you take the next 3 weeks off. 

And I believe that you're not allowed to have sex six weeks after your surgery. Also no bath until the doc said it's ok. I'm not judging you but are you sure you should be doing all these?

• Posted

Hi thanks for the response. 

The nurse who took out my staples at the hospital said I could take baths now to help keep the wound clean of infection, that was day 8. I could have hugged her! It was still open a little and I had to take a course of antibiotics so having the baths has been really helpful. 

Did not have any letter from the hospital saying how long to stay off work (did anyone else get that??)  but they said to be as mobile as possible to reduce the pain. I'm self employed so if I don't work I don't get paid and several people were waiting for me to get back into work so it was a necessity for me. I hated it day 7/day 8, but by day 9 I was managing much better. Don't get me wrong, I'm nowhere near 100% yet and I know I may have to go back into surgery to remove the tumour on the left hand side, but I'm okay enough to cope. Post surgery is actually easier (less painful) than pre-surgery with that giant solid tumour inside me.

Had cesarean previously and have never waited the six weeks re sexual activity, it's unnecessary in my opinion. Have always been asked "back to normal sexually?" by the doc at six week check. My uterus wasn't touched by the surgery and I didn't bleed at all vaginally so I don't see any reason why not. 

• Posted

Very helpful information... I'm not sure what type of cyst I have yet. I go the 28th of this month and they will let me know and what course if action. Do you happen to have any information if you don't have health insurance?

They wanted me to wait till October 27 to see if it would shrink but it hasn't I'm pretty sure. It's pressing on my bladder causing me to urinate way too often ( which is frustrating)...

And if I have a bowel movement it hurts a little. I've been doing castor oil packs at night with a heating pad which seems to help with pain... when I workout I get tired very easy which never has happened before. I'm sure anxious to know what type of cyst I'm dealing with. I can't stand this waiting game

• Posted

Before my operation, they said that the lumps were cysts, (I had MRI and several scans) but having taken it out they said that they cant be sure until they do a biopsy. Mine are partially solid with septations and multilocular. I'm worried about the biopsy results but can't wait to know!

I also had problems peeing and pooping. Ive been told the castor oil treatments are helpful. I also got awfully tired which was scary.

Good luck with your results xx

• Posted

So they won't know until they do a biopsy??? 

• Posted

I was told that the MRI is really good as they can see everything like that and make their diagnosis but they wont know 100% until they do a biopsy. If they see something clearly cystic (a bag of fluid or mucus) then thats clearer information to them than if they see something partially or almost completely solid with sepatations, multilocular and bilateral.... 

Even when I was open and they called in an oncologist to look at the tumour they removed even he wasn't sure what it was. 

waiting for the biopsy results is really difficult.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.