Recovery after robotic prostate cancer removal

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i had robotic prostate cancer surgery 6 weeks ago, im 65 years old and leakage is really making my life difficult. My am becoming more depressed every day as im not seeing any improvement. My family is suffering because im not who i used to be and dont really leave the house. Has anyone experienced same issues. Please help me understand.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Domenic have you been doing your kegal exercises? They are key to regaining control. Also do you have a local continence service? The pads they ordered for my husband were much better than the unisex ones the hospital supplied. Did you have any problem with your bladder pre op? It will get better. My husband had control at night within a couple of weeks but it took him almost 3 months to regain daytime control as he wasnt doing his exercises every day. You can always call your continence nurse at the hospital for a chat also. You should also be having your 6 week check soon and can talk to your surgeon. Things will get better.
  • Posted

Hi I had my open surgery when I was 66 .now 68 I had Gleason 9 psa 18. Psa now still 0.05 I was lucky to spot the prostate cancer

Early at T2.back scuba diving

6 months after opp.i still wear the thinnest Tena man pads one pad lasts all day and only damp . I found that a uridom  with leg bag was great first 12 months. I still put leg bag on if going on long car journey it saves you worrying 

Coloplast 

Conveen optima sheath they have different sizes ,& two lengths .

The leg bags are

Coloplast simpla 

And the tube between you cut to length. I sent off for free sample

I liked them so got prescription of my doctor. Hope this helps you feel better.

All the best wishes 

• Posted

Six weeks is still real early in the game. As mentioned above - keep doing your kegals. 

If you're into "mind over matter" - my surgeon told me at my three month follow-up that he wanted me dry by the time we met in another three months.. Couple of weeks later, I didn't wear a pad on Saturday and haven't looked back. 

• Posted

It has taken me 20 months to get dry at night and not use pads. In the day I use small pads as only get damp, think I will get dry soon. Nothing has worked for E/D and all this was the result of a TURP.  Am 74 years but convinced I will be OK and got Prostate removal to look forward to.  Don't let it get you down you will beat it if you keep on working at it.

• Posted

Hang in there. Everyone is different, but my experience. From day one, no night time problem, ever. Now at 8 month post op. Still wear thin pad. Minor leakage. One pad per day. EXCEPT when I drink alcohol, then it's bring an extra pad and pay attention and go to bathroom as much as possible. I have been a bit of a slack dog with the kegel exercises. Surgeon got on me a bit and since I focused on the exercises my situation improved tremendously. It will come around. No one needs to know what is happening but we all go through the woe is me cycle. Focus on the exercises, chat with your Dr. Hopefully the cancer is gone. Your life will be pretty normal moving forward.

PS: I am 67.

• Posted

Don't be too worried about the treatment. If you have any doubts, just talk to your oncologist freely and openly.

• Posted

Hello, Domenic - don't despair! I'm in the same boat, but have to believe things will get better. I'm 64 years old and had my prostate removed 3 weeks ago. The cancer is all gone (yeah!), but the nasty side effects are hard to to deal with.  I'm in the drip, drip, drip stage when walking, but I'm dry overnight, and I don't leak much, if any, when I am sitting. To  be sure, I have slipped into spats of self-pity, because this condition is very limiting. But  then I realize I am conceding defeat, when in fact it's just a temporary gross inconvenience. My family is supportive so I persevere.  Patience is the key. To be sure, it's discouraging, but from everything I read, next year at this time you and I will be living high and dry. Don't give up. It will get better. Let's stay in touch. 

• Posted

Patience, yes. Remember you had undergone a MAJOR surgery, eliminating a possible life ending disease. Do your exercises and get out and live your life.

I'm less than 9 months post op and the first month is a fading memory

• Posted

Richard,

thank you for your comments. In this holiday season, emotions for all sorts of reasons run high in my head. The  recovery from prostate cancer surgery is but a piece of the mosaic in my mind.  I'm just a bit weary from the battle and I realize I'm a newcomer. Thanks for your candid talk.

Best in 2018, Gene

• Posted

Richard is so right, you will get better it does take time.its 2 years in Febuary since my prostactomy .i was 66 at the time.i still use thin Tena man pads .from Gleason 9and 2TC

Psa 18. Now psa 0.05 ever since opp.im back scuba diving so I’m sure you will be back to normal

Soon all the best for the new year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.