Recovery after Rotator Cuff Surgery AND MUA

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had rotator cuff surgery on March 6th and two weeks ago my ortho suggested I undergo MUA due to stiffness and nerve irritation while in PT.  I hesitently agreed to do so and had it done last Monday (7 days ago).  For the three days with the pain pump, my ROM was excellent and I was super excited.  I removed the pain pump on Thursday and it was felt as though I IMMEDIATLY stiffened up once the meds wore off! My Ortho also cleaned up some tendonitis in my bi-cep and during today's PT I burst into tears from the pain and discomfort in my biceps.  The constant pulling was beyond bearable! 

has anyone expereinced this form of discomfort after MUA? The discomfort I am feeling is nothing like the one I experienced after my initial surgery.  I feel defeated and I feel like I have taken 50 steps backwards.  How have any of you managed to get your muscles to relax and push thru the pain? My therapist told me she has never experienced someone's body like mine, in that my muscles just do not relax.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Miatch23,

It seems to me that you had some significant surgery on your shoulder and bicep, and this was on top of some ongoing issues with stiffness... so you've been through a lot... and I think most of us on this site know well that feeling of relentless unmanageable pain and sense of defeat so I really feel for you.

When I read your post I immediately thought of magnesium, which has helped me when I feel like my muscles are all just tightening up and trapping me. It's not a cure-all, but it has made a difference for me and I still take it daily. Supplements, magnesium crystals in a warm bath, and magnesium oil sprayed on the body are all good ways to get extra magnesium.

The other thing I found helpful for that nagging intractible shoulder joint and bicep pain that brought me to tears and was unrelenting day and night was very gentle pendulum exercises. It could sometimes just take the edge off when absolutely nothing else worked.

I'm sure others will have suggestions too, but there are so many helpful posts all the way through this site. Good luck and be gentle with yourself. smile

• Posted

I took your advice and purchased oral and spray on magnesium supplements.  I hope it helps me as well.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  I genuinely appreciate it.

• Posted

You're welcome. smile I tried every kind of massage, acupuncture, chiropractic etc etc and none of them cured my two frozen shoulders but the care and attention and treatments helped my symptoms for short period of time. We can feel very alone with fs as we often look well but are genuinely suffering and can be quite disabled. I really feel for you not being able to afford soothing treatments, but I hope you can ask for very gentle caring hugs from loved ones. Just being believed can help so much.

• Posted

sorry you are in pain, when your hopes of a cure where  high and hoping for a cure for the misery that fs brings. I have been told the same by my therapist that my muscles do not relax. Its the condition of the body when you have fs.

I have had frozen shoulder in both my shoulders and suffered for  last 12 months, now cured and free of the relentless pain and sleepless nights, and able to move my arms as normal, its a new lease of life.  there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it will get better.  there is no quick cure for fs, and surprised that the doctors have not told you this, why operate.

what stage of fs are you at. as mentioned it will take 12 months,  the doctors should be more informed about the condition, and should have related to you that there is no quick cure. The pain can be managed, I would suggest no more treatments, it all seems very harsh and aggressive. 

Rest and try to relax, walking helps and as suggested, do the penduleum excercise, lean on a table and let your arm hang down and gently rotate, one way and then the other.  be patient and let your body heal, it will take time.

Although the pain is in the shoulders, it can be the neck where the muscles are tight, my chiropracter informed me of this. It can help to put a warm beany bag around your neck and alternate with cold ice pack, also do neck excercise, move your head around to the left as far as you can and then to the right, move head gently up and down, I hope this helps take care of yourself.

• Posted

thank you.  I'm trying to remain positive but I feel like I'm under more stress to heal.  When I see others improving at such a faster rate, I get discouraged.  Some are able to afford additional treatments or massage sessions, which are both luxeries I cannot afford.  One friend said she dedicates 3-5 hours a day on stretching.  I work a full time desk job, and though I try to move every hour, it just hasn't been enough, I guess.

I am now increasing my pendulum exercises and stretch out my neck every hour.  Thank you for the suggestions and thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.