Recovery after tongue biopsy for OLP

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm just looking for some advice on recovery from a tongue biopsy. i had one when originally diagnosed with OLP but since ive had no recovery for the two years since they wanted to biopsy agsin. this time they took the sample from underneath my tongue on the effected side. After a week or so i developed a dark purple very large ulcer. i started back on the steroid bethmasone mouthwashes but its still very much there a month later and today ive also developed a large lump / swelling near to the ulcer. i still have the usual ulcers / soreness but im really worried now that the biopsy site isnt healing. has anyone else had this? i still havent had the results and my appointment is a whole three months after the biopsy. i rang and they said they would check with my consultant and he would write a letter but nothing so i need to chase that and ill ask about my recovery too.

tbh i am really fed up my consultant seems to forget my case every time im reviewed and prescribe the same old treatments which do nothing. i might just discharge myself as the whole thing is pointless

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Esuma,

Unfortunately, very little is officially known about OLP at this point in time... what triggers it and therefore, what may prevent or help heal it. There are of course many theories such as antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria having colonized the mouth and thereby causing rampage with the immune system... but nothing that has been proven without a doubt in science so far. So it shouldn't be a surprise that little help can come from the field of conventional medicine until more light has been made available on the disease.

What I have read though, are a few anecdotal success stories of people experimenting on their own and achieving considerable relief over the disease through generally safe, but unconventional means. For instance, some people have tried ozonated water as a mouthwash and have found considerable relief; many have bought their own ozone generator (which is not expensive) to produce their personal ozonated water and reduce costs. It's no big deal since all you have to do is blow some ozone bubbles in your favorite fresh water with a small flexible plastic pipe; you then keep the finished product inside your mouth for as long as you can, to experience the relief ozone provides naturally, through its antiseptic properties.

Better still, blow some ozone bubbles in some Calendula oil, which will remain ozonated for much longer than water. The Calendula flower is known as the great natural repair plant of the mucous membranes for humans, and its oil has helped more than a few people over the centuries with all sorts of ills of the skin, both internal and external. You can purchase Calendula Oil from many sources such as quality health food stores, or make your own, if you feel at ease with growing Calendula flowers in your own backyard and then integrating them in your favorite oil. Calendulas are also known as "Pot Marigolds", but you have to make sure you use the flowers from the species "Calendula Officinalis" to experience the health benefits.

This is just a simple idea I have seen out there that I know makes sense and works for many... but there are countless others... you will need to read a bit on your own and experiment safely if you hope to achieve better results than those conventional medicine can offer you at the time.

FYI, I suffered from both LP and LSC on the outer skin only, and for 20 years, but finally cured them completely by taking Saint-John's Wort Capsules (another great plant for the skin by the way) over a 6 month period. OLP may probably not be cured this easily unfortunately. Disease-free for over 5 years now!

Best of luck,

Greg.

• Posted

did your biopsy definitely confirm your lichen planus diagnosis?

• Posted

My previous biopsy did but i havent had the results of the most recent yet

• Posted

Hi

sorry to hear you are going through this

can I just ask did the biopsy hurt/was painful for a long time after ?

I might have to have one on a patch on my tongue, I realise everyone is different with pain threshold etc but am just curious

I definitely have something going on as i have had a weird ulcer/patch for over 2 months now and sore tongue and slight burning on the inside of the lips

I have been off/on Omoperazole tabs for years for bad acid refulx and I've read that OLP can be the result of overload of certain prescribed drugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.