RECOVERY FEARS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 13 weeks post op bunion removal scarf and akin osteotimy. My foot looks amazing I get bad swelling - to be expected - but I am experiencing bad pain every day, every step ...still. Does anyone else at this stage in their recovery still experience pain when walking? I'm so worried I'm never going to be pain free.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona, My mom had bunion removal 15 years ago and she said she had pain for almost 1 year. She said the pain lessened with time until one day she realized the pain was gone. So, it sounds like you are ok.

As for me, I'm almost 6 weeks post op and yesterday is the first day I was able to do baby's steps in my boot. Today, I did more, but have to take it real slow since my muscles have atrophied and now my knee hurts, too.

May you continue to heal and be pain free soon!!

• Posted

Hi Holly. It's good to hear your mum was ok. 6 weeks is so early in the healing process. But take it slowly don't do too much too soon. Fingers crossed all will get better
  • Posted

Hi fiona I had my op 3 years ago know can't go out but I had toes pined op didn't work on me the do say doctor take 3 years to heal a yeasr for bunion tendon to heal if your worried get another's appt I go back have major surgery as my toes are badly deformed due rheaumatiid arthritis I got to have one amputee may be more on both feet donug one at a time and taking bone out under the ball of feet Fiona if I course you pain can't walk please go back to consultant don't Waite
  • Posted

Hi Fiona I'm 6 weeks post op and I'm back at work my scar also looks great but I wear a elasticated tubular dressing to help protect my foot I got quite a tight one size B or C that helps me I still get a bit of pain but I think we ask too much too soon but if your worried I'd make an appointment with the doctor or podiatrist to put your mind to rest
  • Posted

Hi Fiona, I am 3 weeks post op after also having a Scarf Akin Bunionectomy. This is the second foot I've had done. The left foot was done 16 months ago and has been a huge success.The recovery was slow and difficult at times but I did elevate my foot often or whenever I began to feel discomfort - in the early months. Realistically it took around 8 months before I suddenly noticed that all the pain, nerve jumping, swelling and discomfort had finally gone. It was all worth it. Now I have had the other foot done and if it goes as well as the first foot I shall be over the moon. The recovery can be challenging at times but with patience and rest, the results should be good. By the way I am fast approaching 72 so no spring chicken but still an active lady all the same. Best wishes. LadyPink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.