Recovery from broken ankle

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am almost 6 weeks non weight-bearing after breaking my ankle, because of balance problems I am unable to use crutches. can anyone advise how I will be able to get around. I assumed that an airboot would enable me to walk around ,apparently its not as easy as that....can anyone help please

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine.

It's now four weeks since I had my cast removed, after having the cast on for around 8 weeks following ankle surgery on my left ankle in early November.

Your post struck a cord as I was initially unable to use crutches. I was struggling to hop using them, and certainly couldn't use them for the stairs.

I found the zimmer frames to be of great help for me. The hospital let me have two zimmer frames as well as a pair of crutches. I just felt much more safer using them, due to the 4 points of contact they have, so I had one downstairs and another upstairs. I found it easy to hop using the zimmer, and didn't have any balance issues. For the stairs, I'd shuffle up and down them on my backside. Not very elegant, but i didn't care at the time!!

However, as soon as I could start to weight bear, I gradually moved to the crutches, and find them ok to use now. I alternate between 1 or 2 crutches and can now do a few steps without any. I you-tubed using crutches for the stairs and as soon as I was using 1 crutch, I was able to go up and down the stairs using just the 1 crutch.

Hope that helps and best wishes with your recovery!

Mick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.