Recovery from broken wrist surgery -4wks on

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there 

Seeking advice /reassurance?it is now 4wks since my op on wrist, no plaster on just splint and gentle exercises with physio and doing 2/3 times a day. Had stitches out just over a week ago which was awful, however since I've started exercises my wrist hurts in particular where plate/pins have been put to put wrist back together. Still can't make a fist or straighten fingers and arm/wrist very sore and stiff first thing in the morning. Taking paracetamol /codeine and ibuprofen for pain. Just seeking reassurance from anyone who has had similar or going through same.  Thank you in advance.  Regards

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Monica,

I pulverized my wrist 4/27/17. Have been going to OT since 5/27, 3x per week. I was only able to make a full fist in the past month. The fingers are still a bit swollen, but not like in the beginning. Until the swelling subsides making a fist is pretty useless. I used to soak my hand in the evening and exercise my fingers that way. Much easier. It is a long haul to recovery and we don't always want to be patient, but there is really no alternative. Heat before exercise, ice after, and even if you manually have to bend those digits, give it a shot. Do you have putty to Manipulate? It is pretty useful. It will get easier, believe me. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Carol

Thank you for replying - yep I'm a little impatient and the discomfort and pain,stiffness is getting me down as well as lack of sleep due to not being able to get comfortable at night.

I'm praying over next few weeks at least it gets a little easier and less painful.

I don't have putty though have thought about play dough or something similar.

Good idea about heat or cold for exercises. I am manipulating fingers or sausages as they currently look. Any other suggestions or help would be great. Thank you x

• Posted

OH and also, U Tube has lots of people putting their own exercises after broken wrists. I found these very useful. All takes time.

Maureen

• Posted

It is 11 weeks since my accident in my garden, I am 68, I was put into a cast for a week, then had operarion with plate and ten screws. After operation I was in a cast for 2 weeks. After the cast came off I was given a removable velcro support. Although whilst in cast I tried to move my finger, with the cast up to my knuckles, made this difficult. I used arnica gell and massaged that into my bruised and swollen hand, that brought out the bruise and swelling improved. I realised the ligaments were going to nead lots of gentle massage and not expect too much. I could touch with my thumb first three fingers not my little finger. I bought some excersise balls on a very well known online delivery site. They take place of play-doe, pack of two pink the softer for early days then the blue used after a couple of months. Once the scar was stitches free, I bought online a scar gell “Kelo-Cote” this is amazing, again from the well known site. So now nearly three months since accident, I can make a fist, hold a plate of food, do my ironing. I do my excersises every other day, as they do make wrist sore am now trying to get full motion. Wrist side to side motion is nearly normal, hand pointing palm up and down only 40% there. I can hold hand outstretched now palm pointing upwards, could not achieve this untill six weeks after accident. The soft tissues inside wrist takes time to heal. Two months after op I took photos of my exray from monitor at hospital, it showed my bone had nearly completely knitted, about 2mm to go. As I am 68 I have had a bone test to see if there is any Osteoporosis, this should be done for anyone over 60. Be kind to your poor hand, it will get better, tiny steps.

Maureen  

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for replying and advice. I'm 54 and fell over just over 4wks ago and op was 4and a bit weeks ago. I haven't had cast just a splint, arm aches and fingers like sausages. Physio once a fortnight and exercises 3 times a day. Fed up with not being able to do much and aching after exercises. Very little movement at moment and consultant has said no use for at least six weeks. See nurse once a week at drs to check wound healing ok so seek advice from there as well. Pleased I've found this place. Thank you xx

• Posted

It's hard to comment on your situation, because every case is different and even if I knew the details, I'm not a doctor. But I can tell you a bit about my case.

I had a fairly severe fracture in Feb, got surgery with plate and screws, no cast and no splint (just a sling). First few days were pretty rough, but it gradually got better, and after a couple of weeks I didn't need pills anymore and I was able to almost make a fist. Later took paracetamol again for a while to help with stronger physio exercises.

Ice is very important to reduce the swelling and pain in the first several weeks up to a few months; you can apply an ice pack for about 15 min every 2 hours. Exercises will hurt, but they are very important and you should get some encouragement from noticing the improvements. It will get better, assuming the bone alignment is good.

If you want, you can find more details about my experience by checking (via my profile) the first discussion I posted.

• Posted

Hi adi123

Thank you for replying and advice.

Physio increased intensity of exercise /manipulating as of this week so arm/wrist aching and painkillers not helping very much so trying to go with it!just want wrist and hand moving again and back to some normality. Going to give ice a go before and after exercises. It is five weeks now since accident so pray in next few weeks it gets better.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks Adi123 will have a look at posts. Have had a look at YouTube fir exercises some better than others.

Think it's a bit of a journey to get back to some level of normality,also as job is administration using keyboard for majority of work it will be a little while yet as trying to stretch hand and thumb is still stiff and very swollen.

Seeing consultant soon,so looking forward to it to see if bones are set etc!.

Thank you for advice.

Regards

• Posted

Hi

Well week 6 of recovery and can just about make three quarter fist -full if I push fingers. Turn palm half way up v.painful,more difficult trying palm down though as can't flatten hand at mo! Physio is tough though they do good job - no pain no gain! Trying to get wrist up and down by holding fill hand and samex with wave. Seeing consultant in next two weeks so hopefully a bit more movement between now and then? . Still not weight bearing yet. How long did it take on average for others with broken wrist injury. Have been off work for 6wks now and going mad also not being able to drive also. Thank you for reading and advice x

• Posted

Hi Monica,

This wrist thing is somewhat of a roller coaster experience. I am at 6-1/2 months and still have trouble with pain an swelling although it is much less now. I wasn't able to start driving until about three months after surgery. There is no fast way to get through this. Heat before therapy, ice after. Exercises even when home. Have they tried the pencil exercise to help with making a fist? Take about 30 pencils and grasp them together as much ad you can. Remove one pencil at a time, gradually tightening your grasp on the lessening number of pencils. Do 4 times. Really does help. The pain does start to decrease over time to what I liken to a toothache in my fingers. Ibuprofen didn't do much for me. Watch the kidneys.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.