Recovery from Dermoid Cyst Removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am 25 years of age and about 2 months ago I had a dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary through laparascopic surgery. My doctor told me it was about the size of a lime. Luckily my ovary was saved. I stayed out of work for 3 weeks to recover but returned because I just sit at a desk. I think I am still recovering though. How long does the recovery process actually take? I'm learning my organs are taking longer to heal. My menstrual cycles have been so painful and focused on the side the cyst was removed. Has anyone else gone through this recovery process? I keep wondering if I should go to the doctor.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Raven,

It does take a few months before you are totally back to normal, depends on how much the surgeon had to cut and stitch.

My right ovary tubes and a cyst were removeved in April, and it's only the last couple of months that I've felt normal.

I think we underestimate how much this type of surgery takes out of us, and try to do too much too soon.

Just don't do too much for another couple of months, let everything heal up.x.

• Posted

Thank you Laura. I admit I thought since the doctor only requested I stay out of work for 2 weeks to 4 weeks, that meant I would be completely healed in that time. I thought I may be having complications.
  • Posted

Hi, I also had a dermoid cyst removed when I was 14. I had a week off school after my op but I still remember the pain! My op was also laparascopic, and my stitches took ages to completely dissolve, and meant that my stomach was very sore for a few months! My cyst was approxamatley 12cm, and had done so much damage that my ovary that it had to be removed. My surgeon said how my cyst was 'stuck' to a lot of my surrounding oragans meaning that my tummy was very sore, and 3 years on, I still suffer from these adhesions daily. I went to the doctors a few months back as these pains seemed to be getting worse and another cyst was found on my remaining ovary. I would go to the doctor for reassurance, or maybe ask for an ultrasound, just to check that everything is recovering the way it should!       

Hope this helps smile

• Posted

Hi,

Is it another dermoid cyst? How old are you now? My doctor told me there was a chance another cyst could grow and I'm concerned because I would like to have children.

• Posted

Hi,

I am 5 weeks post-op (I'm 43) and am still in the recovery process. I felt pretty good at the 4 week mark, but I think I overdid it, and now I am experiencing some pain/anxiety. Here's my recent post about my worries, along with some very kind & informative responses from other forum members:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pain-5-weeks-post-op-advice-experiences-please-i-m-so-depressed--545279

My first period after the surgery was very painful and was heavier than normal--although I did have a D&C for polyp removal which probably contributed to this.

I have not yet resumed 100% normal exercise activities (other than walking, lifting light objects) or relations w/ my husband.  My body is still trying to adjust to the trauma of it all.  I'm hoping to feel like my old self again soon.

Hope this helps. Please don't overdo it as I did. I think I set myself back a week or 2 in recovery time.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.