Recovery from Discectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an L5 S1 Discectomy one week ago and am still experiencing pain in my leg. I'm wondering what are real expectations for recovery and the best way to heal? Thank you

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Adele I am sorry you are having to go through pain but have no experience of having an op unfortunately I have the same levels but the surgeon said it was too dangerous so whether it was through previous ops or my age I don't know...but hope you feel better soon. I am really surprised how long patients have to wait for after their op appt. Where do you live and the name of your surgeon. I think on the disc prolapse posts there are patients recovering - have a look or may be someone will come onto your post. All the very best.anne

• Posted

I can tell because of how you are doing!!! Although many people in the States have private insurance some people don't - same in England. Usually your company pays for your health. Trouble is that by the time you are in trouble, the insuance companies wont touch a pre medical condition and thats what has happened to my daughter. Same problem as me so is it worth having insurance?  Dunno.  However, I think that surgeons in the States are just a bit more experienced in back problems, its like here in Spain they are good at replacing limbs but backs, nowp.  And... if they are, they know they can make more money seeing private patients.  Some of ours went on strike a couple of years ago, they hadn't been paid for I don't know how many months, and they went private. I know I have been to a couple.

I also feel that the Spanish surgeons are better than English ones. They are afraid of being sued.  I know that the osteopath I used to go to - the last time, just held my feet for 20 minutes and asked me for £30 - I went back and asked how holding my feet did any good, he told me a lot of rubbish but at the end it was being sued.  I think as soon as there is a nip in the air about suing the practioner alters his work.

I think I will just have to live with mine unless............. they can give me some medication better than I have.  I know they said that I had a very low dose (probably why I have so much pain) But, I have had my problem spinal stenosis and was experimented on at first (I think) which stopped then another op and they won't operate again.   It all stems from these spurs that protect the main bone in your body and although the last op was for shaving them off around a nerve, I have a feeling that S1 is still acting up. Hope you understand ........... I am never still though I keep myself interested in anything.  I read the newspaper, play music, my partner takes me here and there, shopping expeditions, TV and knitting.

Hope the pain in everyones day is not as bad as yesterday

• Posted

Hello Adele,

Wow hope you're  ok. Discectomy I believe is the taking away of a disc.( I had mine thinned out) A week is so early to start worrying about symptoms. But, you need to feed back to you're health professionals all the pain, symptoms and concern you got. Keep a journal and fill it in every day, - marking your pain and discomfort on a scale of 1 to 10. Take advantage of ALL aftercare via the nhs, like physiotherapy, hydro therapy and back classes. I'm 4 month post opp and although I can walk better, my back is so unpredictable, Like today I went to town and 1 hour in, I was having back stabbing pain and I had to sit down. But you've still got a journey ahead of you. Don't worry a week is nothing, you've had major surgery on your back.  It will take time and patience on your part to let your back do the talking for you. Pace yourself, listen to your body and above all (And I need to do this for myself ) have patience. 

Regards Bonnie Blue.

• Posted

thank you Bonnie. I think I just had unrealistic expectations so now just need to be patient. I hope you feel better and recovery fully heals you. 
  • Posted

Hi there, I'm now 6 weeks post op (l5/s1) and I had pain right upto week 2 or 3. I now only have back pain which is livable. 

I would wait wait longer before worrying, 

• Posted

Hi James, glad you are feeling a bit better, I think it will be a while (a couple of more weeks) before you are feeling so much better, its been a big operation and a huge shock to the system.  Enjoy ?
  • Posted

I had the same concerns as you, I'm only 6 days post op. Although the improvement so far is amazing, I was unable to do anything, I was stuck on my front with my knees tucked under me. If you read through others experiences you'll feel much more positive.

So far I'm able to walk very short distances, I can sit for a few hours, I've made lunch for my children today, and dinner for my husband and me last night.

It's going to be long and hard, but you'll do great.

• Posted

Wonderful. Dont forget.....slowly wins the race. I am a. Envious of you all actually perhaps at 73 the surgeon was right - too dangerous for me and maybe he saw i was too old for this op.am too old. Gert on with girls and boys look forward to your future, anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.