Recovery from l5s1 microdisectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm 10 days post op, I had l5s1 disectomy, 14yrs ago I had disectomy on the two levels above, this time round I seem to be in agony I don't remember the 1at op I was only 13yrs old n everything was explained to my parents, both have passed away so I can't even ask what way I was 1st time round!!! My ns operated on the right side but it's my left leg now that's in complete agony i had to get morphine injections and my meds changed to palexia a form of morphine, I also take paracetamol and nuerontin and nothing seems to help my gp just told me take tablets and go home😔😔😔 any1 got any ideas as I'm close to cutting my leg off!!!! I'm seriously regretting having had the surgery

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

The first thing you need to do is call your surgeon to make sure that you did not develop a blood clot... If it's ok, ask any you are in such pain. I had the same procedure done in Feb-2015 and my original pain was on the right leg and that's the side where the incision is. You should not be in that much pain unless they messed up when moving you from one table yo the other...
    • Posted

Thanks mariav I'm going to ring my surgeon in the morning its 8pm in ire😊 even when I woke from operation I was in agony I was in recovery for 4hrs longer than normal and my incision kept bleeding which I know can happen, I was put in a trolley bed after op which was horrible I spent the whole nite crying in pain and I'm usually a tough old cookie. After your op was your pain on incision side or opposite??
    • Posted

My incision was on the same side of leg pain. I an very worried for you. I hope you get good news. Please keep me informed.. I was up and walkings same day. The pain was there for a few weeks. You should not have had that much bleeding. I had a microdistrctomy and a laminectony.
    • Posted

I'm hoping its the nerves after being poked at but can't be too sure. I was up walking that nite it's the lying in bed that's torture I thought I was doin great but have done a 360 altogether!!! Ill keep u posted thanks so much for advice😊😊😊
    • Posted

Hey rang my ns and I'm in for a scan tomorrow😊 fingers x all is good, hope you're keeping well
  • Posted

Hang on in there because  postoperatively things can be more painful.at first,keep up the medications,don't regret,because if left it could have gone a lot worse
    • Posted

That's very true I'm just frustrated that even with all the meds I'm still in serious pain I rang my ns team this morning and I'm back in tomorrow for a scan they want to check because its the right side they said should be the painful side as that's where they operated but it's the left leg is throbbing I would seriously cut it off lol.
  • Posted

Take care keep updated where do u live ?england
    • Posted

Thank you,I had spinal injections 3 weeks ago worke for 5 days,total bliss now it's all back and going down the right leg as well,I still can't work consultant sees me again 8 weeks from injections,was hoping he'd c me before!  Just keep popping the pills!!
    • Posted

Oh I know how u feel I had them done last year and ended up losing my job over it I was in agony after it I hope u get some relief xx
  • Posted

Lorraine,

You might be experiencing left drop foot syndrome, can you feel your leg? Or is it on fire sensation?

Let me know

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cynthia its a burning sensation from hip to toes and it feels like the left leg is swollen and dead feeling too its so weird and hard to explain
    • Posted

Lorraine.

Oh do I know that feeling, Dr called me crazy n nuts, but what it was a part of a broken disc cutting my nerve, by the time I got 2nd opinion it was to late to fix the nerve, stuck with no feeling in leg but it just throbs all the time, if I went sooner it would be a whole different world for me today, pls get it looked at..you don't want 20 years of suffering.

Best of luck

Cindy

• Posted

Oh no u poor pet xx do u still take meds daily for it?? I'm heading to a&e in the morn for a scan I'm hoping its nothin but for some reason I feel something is up because I've never had this pain as bad in my leg😭 I'll keep u posted xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.