Recovery from laparotomy and oophorectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everybody, I'm just looking for any insights that people might have. I am 26 years old and 8 days ago I had a very large complex ovarian cyst removed from my ovary. The dimensions of the cyst were 15cm x 12cm x 6cm (The doctor referred to it as the size of a small football at one stage rolleyes). As part of the procedure, I had consented to the removal of the ovary on which it was attached and the fallopian tube of that side too. After the surgery (laparotomy, 4-5 inch horizontal incision) the doctor told me that they had removed the cyst successfully and the ovary but had left the tube. It turned out the cyst had been attached to the left side even though they had said right side all along and the pain was on the right side. They also said that there had been another smaller cyst on the right side which they removed during the surgery so that might have been a part of that pain? I'm feeling tender still but every day it's a bit easier. I think my digestive system feels a bit more out of whack still than anything. They didn't tell me very much in the hospital on discharge about aftercare and I didn't think to ask them much so I suppose I'm just looking for any info on the process of recovery in general. Also, I still had a bandage on the incision as I left the hospital. I asked a nurse if I need more and she gave me 2 more and said that they're usually kept on for about 10 days after surgery. I've taken it off just today now because elsewhere online people have said that theirs were removed 3-4 days after. There is still tape on the incision and I was wondering if this is okay to get wet in the shower and if this will come off by itself with time? Any advice is very welcome. Thank you!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky- Hope you are feeling OK today. Lots of rest,a nice soft pillow under your tummy in bed,good food,and support your tummy with your hands in the house when walking about- it's a comfort thing. It's 9 weeks today since my op- same as yours except I had full laparotic hysterectomy+ 2 cysts removed-mine were only 8cm and 5cm-yours was a whopper! cos I'm older than you.Your digestive system was pulled about a lot during surgery so will be in slight trauma. !st time in my life I couldn't go to toilet,but great now-took a week.I had staples so had showers/baths from day 1. Yours is different-my friend had a tape stisch and had to keep it dry for about 6 weeks. Please phone your doctor or hospital about getting it wet.My biopsy was benign and I feel on yop of the world at the moment- getting my life back is wonderful,swimming,walking,shopping and very light housework. Take care you will soon be feeling better. x
    • Posted

Thank you Sylvia. That is a great help. It's great to hear from somebody who's come out the other side and especially that you're doing so well now. I will call my doctor up about the tape so for peace of mind. Great news that the biopsy was benign! I have to wait for 6 weeks to go back now but they say that it looks benign so I'll try to stay positive until then :-)
  • Posted

Hi vickii

i am in a similar situation and was wondering if you could answer a few questions.

i have just had my first gyn appointment at the hospital and the consultant confirmed a dermoid cyst on both ovaries one 6cm other 2cm she has advised to take out with open surgery as doesn't want the contents to spill and wants to try and save my ovaries or at least one, why did they advise you open surgery my consultant says she doesn't suspect anything sinister but I am a little freaked out by this I was just getting my head around the laparoscopic surgery and now this has thrown me.

what type of cyst did you have and did you have the tumour marker blood test, was they elevated?

Also did you wait long for the operation itself ? 

Sorry for all questions I'm not dealing with the situation very well at all.

thank X

• Posted

Hi Carly! Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time of it, you'll get through it! They suggested open surgery because of the size of the cyst and because it was complex (hard part as well as a fluid filled part). My stomach was swollen because it was so big- I looked like I was about 4 months pregnant! Sometimes it's just if it makes the surgeon's job easier really so try not to worry too much about the reasons why they're advising it to be open surgery. I was waiting three weeks for the operation once I was seen and once the tests were done. They did a tumour marker test and the hormone levels were normal thankfully.I actually don't know what type of cyst it was yet, which I found a bit odd because I asked them about that but they said that I'd have more info about that in the 6 week appointment. I'd been looking up online and saw that there are three types of complex cyst, dermoid cysts, cystadenomas and endometriomas. If it was an endometrioma it would have been blood filled so I thought that they would have a good idea after the operation but I'll have to wait and see! If there's anything else don't hesitate to ask!x
    • Posted

Thanks vickii

its such a stressful time, I've never had any problems health wise other than anxiety so have been lucky so this has knocked me.

waiting fior things to happen is the worst, glad that you are further forward and recoverin

• Posted

Recovering well 

Carly 

• Posted

Funnily enough I was in the exact same boat. Anxiety had been my only problem until this. Has a date been scheduled for your op yet? I wish you the very best of luck with it anyway!
  • Posted

Hi Vickii,

I haven't read your replies, but the tape is ok to shower in. It'll start to peel, but really only needs to be in a few days, assuming you have internal stitches.

Hope you're doing well,

Tracy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.