Recovery from Lumbar decompression surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Seven days ago I had Lumbar decompression surgery for a trapped nerve in my spine that caused leg pain plus numbness/pins and needles in my right leg and foot.

When should i feel a positive efect from this surgery, todate  the  numbness/pins and needles has shown no improvement.

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

About 5 years ago, I suffered from severe sciatica (hip, butt, down my leg).  After a lot of tries with chiro, physio, shots, etc. I went to my neurosurgeon who found a bone spur literally crushing my sciatic nerve at L4.  Got rid of the spur and did a decompressive laminectomy of L4/L5 and shaved back the calcified disc at L5/S1 to assure that the nerve was not impinged..  

Immediate sciatic relief but it took 10-14 days for all those nerves that had been inflamed for so long to settle back down.  I took some OTC ibuprofen plus used Voltaren Gel (topical A/I) to get me past it.  HATE the nerve meds (gabapentin, Lyrica, etc.) so I just stuck it out.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I suppose it is early days at the moment, I have lots of bruising and no doubt the nerves need time to recover, as you say, I will just have to stick it out.
    • Posted

Every op is different, even if they are "identical" as far as the diagnosis and procedure as recorded on paper.  Also, people heal at different rates.  Time and patience...and a happy new year!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.