Recovery from micro disectomy.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi people.

Just asking really for anyone who had what felt like a badly bruised back after the op to let me know how quickly it settled down? The guy in the next door bed who had a similar op walked out easily with very little pain.

I am finding it slightly easier to walk, but getting up out of sitting position or out of bed still proves tricky!

The wound I hope is healing well. Worried about pulling stitches! My fiancée checks it for me and only a very small about of leaking so should be ok smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi James you will feel stiff and painful for about 2 weeks. Getting in & out of bed will be tricky but all part of the healing process & do not try & do too much initially .

Be meticulous about hygiene to prevent any infection - hand gels etc.

• Posted

Hi, yes, hygiene is my fiancées best friend! I have waterproof sterile dressing on at present, my biggest concern I suppose is the wound healing and stitches coming out. Then I will feel better! 

We have spare waterproof dressings incase this one begins to peel off smile

• Posted

Hi James , glad to hear you are now on the road to recovery, I had my op microdisectomy 14 weeks ago, I like you saw someone almost skip out of the hospital but I edged on caution and continued  until I had the staples out 10 days later (everyone has different pain threshold), getting out of bed was so tricky but rolling on to your side , gently lowering your legs to the edge of the bed and pushing upright with you arms , I still do it that way 14 weeks on but that's only because I'm used to it and does get easier in time, I had my dressing changed once prior to staples out , managed to shower without getting dressing wet,, walking  very well  now with very little pain relief, it's great to be off the zomorph and  oramorph . I'm finally going back to work after 8 months of sheer agony but it's great to be out the other side. Wishing  you well in your recovery the best advice I adhered to was to be patient it will all come together soon. Take care
  • Posted

Could the man in the next door bed had some medication to help his pain.

I had a huge scar down my back when I had my decompression op and quite honestly had no pain at all. I was told to do little walks so I walked up and down the ward and into the corredor. I came home with no pain at all 

They are usually discolving stitches and yes, I had a small amount of leaking. Just think how flipping lucky you are James, I can't have the operation you have had. JUST TAKE IT EASY and thank God that you have been lucky to have it

• Posted

Best of luck James, ask your physio about little excerises that you can do.

I have some 2kg dumb bells that I use every day, that might seem very little but little and often is better than heavier weights.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your recovery as one day I hope to be in your position

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.