Recovery from rectocele prolapse

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

Thought I would update you on my progress 12 weeks post op and things feeling much better . Had check up today with consultant she is pleased with repair , it was a great chance to ask questions about things that were still causing issues she has been wonderful though out . She has advised too still not stand for prolonged periods and has written a letter to my employer stating the importance of this !

I have found sexual intercourse extremely uncomfortable and on examination she found scar tissue which has caused a lump, she has given me another follow up app in 3 months to see if it improves if not they can cut and re stitch anyone heard of this before ?????

The care I have received has been fantastic and Im starting to feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel 😊

My advice to anyone having a rectocele is this is not an easy op but stick with it ! Even though I still have some issues on the whole there has been much improvement .

Good luck to everyone recovering ...by the way this site is fab 😊

6 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie, thank you for sharing, I'm just over 7 weeks post op and it's always helpful to hear about others progress. I agree with you, this site is fab, it's been a mine of information. Good luck to you to and hope everything goes 100% well for you.

• Posted

Hi Marie, thanks for your comments. I am just over 3 weeks post op and recovering well, though slowly.  I agree this forum is excellent. I hope things continue to improve for you. 
  • Posted

Great news marie I'm delighted things have gone so well. I'm also pleased the consultant it's reinforcing the advice that you shouldn't stand for long periods, I wish more w do the same. Regarding scar tissue, the need to remove it is fairly common and it shouldn't cause you any problems once she's done it however in 3 months time it may have granulated down. Good luck marie and continue to take care xx

• Posted

Hi Marie, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm waiting today for a phone call from my bowel nurse to hear the outcome of their MDT meeting regarding a date for my repair. I'm feeling quite fluttery sat here by my phone, so it's really good to hear how you've been looked after. X

• Posted

Hi Marie,

So glad to hear that your recovery is going so well, great to hear that your consultant is looking after you so well and supporting you with regard to your employment. My experience with occupational health was not good at all and had to negotiate with my employer direct and had to letter ftom consultant to advice them, althoughg GP did do her best to reinforce that I was to be on light duties only.

Didn't realize they could actually do anything about scar tissue; this I'd good to know I have had problems with scar tissue for a number of months and while they have given me cream to insert as soon as I stop the cream or do too much on my feet it's agony again.

Please get as much time of work as you can, I felt pretty good when I went back at 13 weeks post op but looking back wish I had taken some extra time out as I'm sure the problems I'm having with scar tissue is down to overstretching tissue that was still healing while at work. Employers really don't have a clue and at the end of the day the needs of the business will take priority.

The posterior repair takes a little longer than an anterior repair, so please take care.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery,

Phyl x💕

• Posted

Meant 'had no letter from my consultant'

• Posted

Hi phyl,

Nice to hear from you. Are you OK love? I'm OK working my butt off and still waiting for my date.looks like it won't be till June time. I just pray to God it holds this time. Still can't believe I have to go through this again😢😢. I'd love to hear from anyone who is in the same place as me. I'm scratching my head phyl as to what sit down job I can do? It's a worry love.take care of yourself phylxxx

• Posted

Hi welshgirl,

I'm still not doing any extra shifts over and above my two contract shifts. Since they have shifted me on to checkout for most of my hours I have been having problems with neck and shoulder, thought it was frozen shoulder, but also think it's a twisted muscle in my neck too. So may be the repetitive nature of work at till.

Never gave me problems before my repairs, think it's due to lack of hormones which are depleting due to menopause. Anyway one of the girls had to have surgery in her neck and spine and like me only does a couple of shifts and needs to make sure she has good supporting chair. We have been promised that chairs have been ordered but been telling us that for weeks so who knows.

How are you coping at work, can be easy? I have been starting from scratch trying to build up the length of time I can walk; overdone it last week headed out to local retail park was out for 3 hours, did stop for half hour for coffee. As I felt OK opted to walk home rather than get bus back, by time I was nearly home knew I'd overdone things, had lunch and sat done for rest but as soon as I went to get up it was agony again. I did however recover by following morning so that was good but couldn't keep that up everyday.

Have figured out its the pace I'm walking at that makes a difference, when out and about at home can take my time walking at more leisurely pace and take plenty rests and therefor can stay on feet for longer but at work your dashing about twisting and turning and bending sometimes and can't always sit when you need to so more painful at end of shift when on your feet and recovering takes longer.

Anyway no bulges, no dragging down feeling after that long walk so the prolapse repairs themselves are holding strong so that's really good.

Got GP appointment tomorrow, so hoping to get something for shoulder problem, also want to know his much longer thus scar tissue problem can go on for as I am finding it difficult in long term to save anything into my ISA with only two short shifts (which I have been topping up for years rather than have a pension fund). So getting a bit worried that the value if my ISA is going down as I'm not keeping it topped up, as well as low interest rates; would like to be able to do much more and thought I'd be further on by now (1 yr post op tomorrow). Was able to do 4 shifts per week after 1st repair and no problems with scar tissue, able to cycle and walk a good distance without problems and all that despite a slight anterior prolapse. So still feeling a bit restricted.

Thought that Matron's suggestion of reception work in hair salon sounded like a good idea for you; maybe once you have got this next repair by and recovered.

June is not such a bad time, invest in a good garden lounger and make the most of the summer months.

Good to hear from you, take care x

Phyl ?💕

• Posted

Sorry meant ' can't be easy ' coping at work !

• Posted

Ahh phyl your right,matron did say that. I'll have to keep an eye out ojn indeed.what a PA larvae hey phyl. Take care xx

• Posted

Keep in touch and let us know when you get a definite date for surgery

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.