Recovery from scoliosis surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would love some feedback about several aspects of my healing process. I had surgery 10 months ago and can feel my hardware, or at least that's how it seems. Does the sensation go away over time? Any feedback would be appreciated.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi LVG,  Thank you for your response. No worries. Typos are fine I quite often have typos myself. My oh my, have you had a bad year. So so sorry for your struggles. I have complications from a surgery in Nov 2016 and can somewhat relate to feelings of anger, frustration, pain and depression. You made it this far with all your many set backs. And now you are doing home PT. That is great. I look forward to hearing from you next week.

Take care, Cheryl

• Posted

Hiya, i am 4 years down the line since my op when i was 13 (am now 17) and sometimes i feel slight clicks in my spine but I'm sure its nothing to worry about i live an active lifestyle at college and have a part time job, if you would like to chat more I'm more than happy to smile

emily

• Posted

Hi Emily,

My 17 yr old daughter had a spinal fusion for kyphosis/hunchback in June 2017. She has high functioning autism so I'm trying to understand how she's feeling etc. as she can't put into words sometimes what's going on. She's had a slow recovery and is very tentative about movement and I think she needs to get moving more. Could you tell me any movements she should avoid or that cause you discomfort? Any tips for getting back to regular life? She thought when the staples came out that some of "the feeling" she was experiencing would be gone but of course she's feeling the implaced hardware. Do you know if that ever goes away? Anyway thanks for any info,  Ali

• Posted

Hiya Ali, 

I had the op in 2013 to correct my scoliosis curve, for me, it was hardest adjusting to day to day movements such as getting out of bed myself and getting myself changed, so things like putting socks on was hard but gradually i just learnt to move my legs instead of my back. 

Another challenge i have found is twisting around to look behind me, i have mostly found this when i learnt to drive last year as its hard to twist to look behind.

Honestly, i can say that it was such a positive thing for me to have done and i know other girls my age who all feel the same way who have also had the op, the best advice i can give to your daughter is to stay positive (i know it might be hard at times) and just know that it will get better and it definitely will help in the long term.

For me, after a year of the op i could no longer feel the rod in my back and now, after 4 years i completely forget i have it.

Just avoid heavy lifting and some types of yoga i cannot do because of the way my back cannot bend.

After the op, about a month after, i went back to school and was coming homier it was too much for me, i found the jogging was good and also swimming was helpful as it didn't hurt me at all.

My scar was numb after the op for over a year and i have only recently got all the feeling back in it.

I really hope that i can help you with any worries you might have, i know 3 girls my age who have been through the same and they all have similar experiences to me with some also finding it harder, if you have any questions or want to know more I'm happy to help.

Emily x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.