Recovery plan

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya

Does any body have an eating disorder (annorexia) recovery meal plan i could take a look at please?

Need help dont want to go back into a unit

Thank You

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

I hope you're doing ok. I think I've written some similar advice to you before. Please see the message below, hope it helps.

"That's great that you're looking to self-care to prevent admission.

The way my dietitian approached it with me, was step by step increases. We did it by calories, which I appreciate isn't for everyone.

I don't want to be triggering, so will try and avoid too much in the way of numbers. By slowly increasing your body will gain because you're eating more than you had been. You might also see some sharp increases but that will settle down as your metabolism starts to recover. 

Has your unit given you any portion guidance - e.g. recommended amounts of food at each meal?

There's no magic way, but definitely get in consistent meals. If something carby at lunch is too much, that's something to aim for, but you can get some pretty nutritious soups to start off. I found starting with porridge was good for breakfast, and before I got on to having milk with it, used water. So stages.

Having a milky drink before you go to bed or yoghurt will start to improve your sleep which is a challenge when you are underweight.

As you start gaining, increase your portion sizes, and increase snacks in the day. It's a good idea to prepare snacks e.g. hummus and carrots are a good one, but prepare how much hummus as if you're like me, you can end up eating more than you feel comfortable with. Yoghurts and smoothies also make for really good snacks.

One thing that happens and is completely normal is that your body becomes extra hungry and you will crave more and more. This is your body recovering and you should try and work with it. Having carbs and fibrous food will really help.

It's important to introduce solid foods quickly, because your jaw can adjust to liquids only + you will end up feeling a lot more bloated."

I really recommend speaking to the Beat Helpline, which is open every day of the year 4pm - 10pm. This is free to call. There are also some excellent resources, including a guidance leaflet for GP appointments. 

Does this help?

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

Unfortunately I can't help you here. I would ask to speak with a dietitian from the eating disorder service you are under. I'm not a medical professional so I am not qualified to give advice, only guidance from what I've done.

In this instance there are lots of factors and everyone is different.

Please go and get a dietitian appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.