recovery post supra pubic robotic hysterectomy and perineal body (anterior) repair

Posted , 5 users are following.

Spent total 8 hours in hospital for my procedure. Voided post op . BM 3rd day. No vaginal discharge. Resting except for walking .5 miles a day now. ! 800 mg motrim controls pain.10 days post op and feeling fabulous in the belly area. Feeling proud of recovery. HOWEVER day8 perineal area seems swollen, tight, and painful. Thought sitting too much, went back to reclined positions.  Tried to look at and appears small piece of red tissue with a white stitch attached protrudes past the vaginal "". Called dr office closed Friday .I have apt first thing Monday morning. Any recommendations of activity. Ice and sitz bath helping .

thanks cindy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Cindy. I'm glad to learn that your surgery went so well and that you're feeling better.  However, you've had major surgery, and it will take time for the swelling to go down.  It takes up to 6 weeks for external stitches to heal and much longer for internal.  This is major surgery.  Walking is good exercise, but don't over do.  Also, while ice is a good idea, a sitz bath may not be.  You can't be sure that you're not placing bacteria where it shouldn't be. I was warned off baths completely.  xx

• Posted

I agree with Lynda regarding bathing, I had my hysterectomy done vaginally (with laparoscope assist) but was advised it wasn't a good idea to take a bath for 4 weeks (I think it was 4) and only to shower. 

Is that 1/2 mile you are walking or 5 miles? if 1/2 then that is about right for someone at 10 days post op, if 5 then please slow down you are over doing it.

• Posted

NOOOOOO baths or sitting in water. Bad idea. You would be likely introducing bacteria to surgery area and bugs can track up stitches. 
  • Posted

Hi Cindy, are you walking 5 miles a day 10 days after your op? 👀 Xx

• Posted

She typed .5 of a mile. There's a point on left of the 5

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.