Recovery setback?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Today is day 8 days after initial diverticulitis flare up and I thought my system was settling down but I seemed to have a little setback. I was doing well eating a low fiber diet and began to add fiber by eating some oatmeal and using whole wheat instead of white bread and I began to develop gas so I immediately stopped with any fiber but now I'm dealing with a little diarrhea again and slight discomfort. Pain I initially had is gone still and another 1 1/2 days of meds left. Any advise on this situation?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Too much, too soon, particularly as you are still on meds.  I have EITHER 1 slice of crustless white bread OR 1 oz instant porridge at this stage, not both, not whole wheat and not proper oatmeal.  It's worth keeping an eye on your wheat intake, white or whole, in case gluten turns out to affect you.

• Posted

Anthony I think what you are experiencing is par for the course. Everybody seems to have different issues.  I am about 3 weeks from the start of my antibiotics and the recovery seems to be Slow this time around. I have been fighting this attack for several months and multiple rounds of antibiotics and it was not until the doctor put me on Cipro and Flagyl and I went of the liquid and then low residue diet did I get any relief. Even now I have a few pains and twinges but they are fewer and fewer.
  • Posted

Fiber should be limited to small amounts and then only after several weeks on a low residue diet. Soft foods, no hard to digest meats.  Chicken, fish and cooked fruits and vegetables will help quiet your intestines. I think you are still healing and it takes several weeks if not months depending on the severity of your flare up to heal.  Taking a probiotic is a very good idea. It will help regulate and help your digestive system and bowels get back to normal. After you feel you are getting to feel better make sure to keep your bowels open.  I take Miralax and for cramping I take Benadryl for cramping. A heating pad helps too.  Just remember it takes time and after so many flare ups to even mention I will say you can live with this but must be careful.  Hard to digest foods still bother me and I have found I eat a lot of crockpot meals where food is cooked soft.  I'm not saying a steak or vegetables are something you can't eat but in moderation and I make sure if it's steak it's a filet for sure.  Also medication really throws off your system so it will take some time and that is where probiotics will help.  Good Luck, Have faith and you will heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.