Recovery time?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Back again..

After attending a festival Sunday pain free I was woken up Monday morning by a sudden pain under my arm to the point I was not able to lift my arm above my head.. I was in that much agony i took myself down to a&e and they took one look at it and said "ouch you must be in pain" clearly they couldn't see it in my face whilst they poked at it.. I was given a course of antibiotics and painkillers and as I expected with my luck they did nothing but make my lump worse. So... Yesterday morning I went to my doctors who referred me to my local hospital for their opinion as I sat in the a&e department for 2 hours I was then seen by a doctor plus a surgeon who said that the lump under my arm wasn't just any lump but an abscess and if i don't have it removed I will end up with blood poisoning so I didn't think twice and went for the surgery!! I'm now back at home feeling sorry for myself and a little sore. I have a nurse coming to my home on Saturday to Change the dressing.

Was just wondering if anyone has had one removed before and if so, how long was the recovery time? As I'm going away on the 24th June.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

They hurt yes but I haven't had any surgically removed. My body created holes naturally so it's draining on it's own. They're not supposed to come back as long as the surgen takes enough with the bump. If the surgen doesn't take enough they come back, from what I've heard and read. Good luck and wish you well.
    • Posted

That's what my body has normally done for a year drains itself that's why I was confused on why this one decided to cause me much more problems. as I have been told the surgeon has removed everything I'm just glad I have an appointment with the dermatologist on the 12th. That's very kind! Thank you
  • Posted

Hi Ellie, depending how big it is, assuming it's an open wound it could take a couple of months.

Being where it is, you may be able to do the dressings yourself with your other hand. Ask the nurse about it and pay special attention to what they do.

(Maybe relax for the first couple of dressings)

You'll discover by what they use, what good bandaging is and maybe source it yourself.

That was a very quick onset and developing into an abscess. I must say... think about what you ate Saturday afternoon and then at the festival. Much potato? Chilki, peppers, paprika? For me I have those triggers and it's about 12 hrs after that it hits.

• Posted

I have had multiple removed and it just depends on how big or deep the cyst was. I've had some of them packed to help healing for the extreme ones. I found remission after being in stage 3 by finding and cutting out my food sensitivities. Mine are nightshades, coconut products and nuts. HS is an autoimmune condition. Look up autoimmune conditions and nightshades. Think about what you ate at the festival. If I accidentally eat the slightest of nightshades I'll have a cyst by the time the food gets to my small intestines where it is distributed into your blood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.