Recovery Time

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, please can you tell me what you actually felt like while having the fibriods removed? I am going to have to have the procedure where you are awake and I'm so nervous. When a doctor tried to fit a coil in me they went through my womb and bowel and I wa in hospital a quite ill for weeks so really terrified about this! 

Thank you. Alexa

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alexia yes I can. During the procedure I had a morphine pump and local anesthetic and I never felt a thing.

The worst bit is after I was sick all through the night from the Morphine and had lot of pain which I had painkillers after the 1st 12 hours it's not bad. Then it's the tiredness that's the worst and that's it.

I am having a follow up appointment tomorrow as mine unfortunately has not worked but if I'm offered it again I won't hesitate beats Hystetectomy hands down.

So good luck with the operation. And your recovery

• Posted

Thank you Patricia,

Very helpful - I'm ok with the recovery and the out of hospital part. I'm rediculously scared of hospitals but if you can feel nothing during the prodedure then that makes me feel a lot less anxious about it all. 

Alexa

• Posted

Hi Alexa

I had a general anaesthetic.  I was Ok for first 2 days, initially first day after was heavy bleeding, then eased off, but for some reason had 2 days of diarrhoea, may be a reaction to something given whilst i was under anaesthesia, like IV antibiotic. Was supposed to be recovered enough to return to work after one week, but what with the diarrhoea and ongoing stomach gasses causing stomach cramps  and bloating etc., returned after 4 weeks.

• Posted

Hello what is the name of the surgery that you're having while awake. My firbroids are getting worse but I can't fathom going under for it. I want to be awake. Please share and good luck!

• Posted

If you don't want an anaesthetic and the fibroid is less than 10 cm my surgeon offered me a local anaesthetic hysteroscopy when I asked but added, 'depends how brave you are'.  I opted for a general anaesthetic as thought i might not be that brave and it might be better for both of us if i were knocked out.

• Posted

Hi Anne, I would definitely opt for a general given the choice. I have no wish to be awake whilst someone is ferreting around down there. I know I'm OK with generals too from having a tumour in my face removed.

Have you had the op yet or are you waiting?

Thank you for replying. X

• Posted

Hi alexa had it done on 4 July.  I opted for general anaesthetic becasue i was so tense on my last internal I put my back out.
  • Posted

Hi Tina, I found this on a website called London Fibroids about Focussed Ultrasound. 

MRI guided Focussed Ultrasound: This is a relatively new procedure which is approved by National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) but only in research settings. This procedure is ideally performed for a single fibroid up to 10cm in size. It reduces the fibroid volume by about 20%. St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington has a research and referral centre for this procedure.

The procedure I'm having is endomitrial ablation so not the cutting open kind of surgery if that makes sense!

• Posted

I was also put out for that procedure. Too much anxiety. I have had it done twice, but it did nothing to help with ANY of my symptoms. Goodluck ! Iris
    • Posted

Hi Alexa,  I did research here in the states and Non Invasive high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) for fibroids has been FDA approved since 2004. FYI Not covered by insurance but that's not an obsticle for me. Risks seem very low, except one reported death last year in Mumbai but the patient had other things going on at the time.

I'm 40 and am thinking about getting it. Just trying to see if anyone on here has done it and can share about their experience with this so I can feel better about it. I really have few symptoms except the frequent peeing (annoying) and I don't drink many fluids because it's so annoying and constipation! Other than that, I have 5 fibroids so I'm doing this to buy some time to avoid surgery as I'm not menopausal yet. Anything anyone can share would be greatly appreciated as I'm mainly concerned with possible risks etc...

• Posted

Hi Alex I just wanted to ask. What procedure did you have for your 10cm Fibroid?
  • Posted

Hello! I had a 6cm intramural fibroid that was degenerating and caused tons of pain. Had my open myomectomy under general anesthesia on August 1st. The worst pain was immediately upon waking up; I had post-anesthesia shakes, but it didn't last long. Aside from that, trapped air/gas pains were painful, but with gas meds and walking it didn't last too long. I had nerve hypersensitivity in my lower tummy; it felt like a sunburn, but it's basically back to normal now.

Recovery has been much easier and less painful than I expected! Each day gets easier and less painful. Still a little swollen, but not terrible.

I had my first fibroid free period a few days ago, and it's amazing how easy a pain-free "normal" period is!

All the best, here anytime!

• Posted

Hi Michelle, thank you for your reply. It sounds like some pain is all worth it then in the long run!

It's taken me years to get a doctor to agree to send me for a scan so I'm not going to turn back now! Although I will miss occasionally being offered a seat on the train because people think I'm pregnant!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.